MATCH OF THE DAY
Enrique Munguia (Elyria) dec. Victor Voinovich (Brecksville), 4-3
Munguia knew he had a tough test in Voinovich, who is ranked No. 2 in the state and No. 14 in the nation and won a state championship at 145 pounds last season, but he had already scored an upset victory over the Bees middleweight at the Walsh Jesuit Ironman earlier this season. Voinovich avenged the loss at the Brecksville Holiday Tournament.
Munguia built a quick lead in their 152-pound semifinal and then frustrated Voinovich with stifling defense the last two periods to win the tiebreaker.
“I just knew I had to keep pushing the pace and that I would come out strong,” Munguia said. “It was pretty good (to lead after one period), it gave me all the confidence I needed to know that I could beat him.
“Any position I get in I feel confident, and I can win any position.”
UPSET OF THE DAY
Peyton Fenton (Elyria) dec. Cole Skinner (Cincinnati LaSalle), 3-2
Fenton came in a heavy underdog against Skinner, who is ranked No. 1 in the state and No. 9 in the nation. It didn’t help that Skinner hung a tight loss on Fenton during the state semifinals at the dual team tournament a month ago.
After being taken down early in the first period, Fenton escaped to trail 2-1. The match evened after Skinner was hit with a locking-hands penalty, and Fenton took the lead when Skinner was hit with his second stalling warning.
Fenton fought off several late shot attempts to advance to the Division I 106-pound state final.
“(Coach) Erik (Burnett)’s always told me, ‘Don’t worry about the rankings. The rankings don’t mean anything,’” Fenton said. “It feels good just knowing that my brother (Brenden) was here and did the same thing, earning a spot in the state finals.”
Five area wrestlers will battle for Division I state championships tonight — with Elyria’s Mick Burnett (132 pounds) and St. Edward’s Bryce Hepner (138), an Avon resident, favored to take home titles.
Elyria’s Fenton (106) and Munguia (152), and Avon’s Jack Roesch (285) will go in as underdogs, but the finals are filled with upset stories every season and the trio will be looking to be part of the latest chapter.
- State Wrestling 2019: Post-match interviews Shaun Bennett (VIDEOS/RECAP)
- RECAP: 2019 State wrestling tournament (VIDEOS)
- State wrestling: Five from area make finals, three from Elyria
- State Wrestling Notes: Elyria's Dylan Shawver, Andrew Levis finish strong, take third
- State Wrestling: Elyria's Mick Burnett follows family's footsteps with 1st title; Peyton Fenton 1st Elyria freshman to win championship
- State Wrestling: Elyria's confident Enrique Munguia not satisfied with 2nd
- State wrestling: Firelands' Payton Burgdorf disappointed in loss, but better able to deal with it
- State Wrestling: Elyria gets off to perfect start, as all 9 Pioneers win in opening session (VIDEOS)
- State Wrestling Notes: North Ridgeville's Jacob Dunstan, Avon's Tommy Sear rally to stay alive
- State Wrestling: EC's Stephen Ferguson has experience of lifetime despite early exit (VIDEO)
- State Wrestling: Wellington's Mike Casella makes surprising run to Columbus after long break from sport