MEDINA — Just two days after Magnificat’s gymnastics team made a huge statement by beating Brecksville, Julia Corrao made one of her own Saturday.
The talented junior from Avon won the all-around, balance beam and floor exercise at the Clevidence Invitational, leading the Blue Streaks to a decisive victory in the team competition.
Two-time state qualifier Corrao also finished second on the vault and uneven parallel bars in running roughshod over the eight-team event at Medina High.
“I had a really good day,” Corrao said, smiling sheepishly. “My goal is to be on the podium at state in the all-around and floor, so I’m pretty happy with the way things have gone so far.”
As she should be. Corrao finished first on the beam and floor Thursday when Magnificat ended Brecksville’s state-record winning streak at 777 — dating back to March 2003 — in a dual meet.
Corrao followed that performance by scoring a 36.9 in the all-around at the Clevidence to outdistance runner-up Samantha Borrelli of Medina (35.25).
She and two-time state qualifier Borrelli also claimed the top two spots on the beam (Corrao won 9.05-8.45), floor (Corrao won 9.4-9.05) and bars (Borrelli won 9.5-9.1).
“It’s absolutely fun to watch two elite gymnasts battling back and forth, like Sam and Julia did today,” Medina coach Darcy Ranallo said. “But what I liked the most was the great sportsmanship they displayed.
“Watching them get together after the awards ceremony, just to say, ‘Great job,’ makes me feel so good about our sport and those girls.”
Magnificat sophomore Jessica Androsik scored a 9.4 on the vault to edge Corrao by 0.05 for top honors, but there was nothing slim about the Blue Streaks’ margin of victory in the team battle.
Coach Joe Gura’s squad posted a 140.65 to outdistance host Medina (131.4) and vastly improved Brunswick (130.55). Olmsted Falls was sixth at 121.7 and Westlake placed seventh at 113.75, while Avon’s three-girl squad was eighth at 80.85.
“I’m really proud of our whole team because we’ve come a long way in the last two years,” Corrao said. “Beating Brecksville gave us a lot of momentum and everyone did pretty well today, especially Jessica, who was great on the vault.”
Eagles sophomore Frannie Myers finished seventh in the all-around (33.05) and vault (8.45), and eighth on the beam (8.15) in her second high school meet.
Westlake senior Bethany Sokol was eighth on the vault (8.35), while twin Brianna Sokol was 10th on the bars (8.05) and beam (8.15). Olmsted Falls junior Breanna Palkovic added a ninth on the bars (8.05).
Magnificat also counted top five finishes from sophomore Hannah Carpenter (fourth in all-around, third on bars and floor, fifth on beam), freshman Celeste Murman (fourth on vault and floor), freshman Kasten Rini (fourth on beam, fifth on vault) and Androsik (third in all-around, fifth on bars).
“Even when something goes wrong, we try to stay positive at all times, which I think makes a big difference,” Corrao said. “Everyone has each other’s back, no matter what, because we’re a true team.”
Contact Brian Dulik at email@example.com.
Team standings: 1. Magnificat 140.65, 2. Medina 131.4, 3. Brunswick 130.55, 4. Wooster 126.65, 5. Cuyahoga Falls 125.85, 6. Olmsted Falls 121.7, 7. Westlake 113.75, 8. Avon 80.85.
1. Julia Corrao (Mags) 36.9, 2. Samantha Borrelli (Med) 35.25, 3. Jessica Androsik (Mags) 34.75, 4. Hannah Carpenter (Mags) 34.65, 5. Camryn Scott (Brun) 33.9, 6. Kira Palmer (Med) 33.85, 7. Frannie Myers (Avon) 33.05.
1. Jessica Androsik (Mags) 9.4, 2. Julia Corrao (Mags) 9.35, 3. Maddie Johnston (CF) 8.75, 4. Celeste Murman (Mags) 8.65, 5. Kasten Rini (Mags) 8.65, 6. Hannah Carpenter (Mags) 8.55, 7. Frannie Myers (Avon) 8.45, 8. Bethany Sokol (West) 8.35.
Uneven parallel bars
1. Samantha Borrelli (Med) 9.5, 2. Julia Corrao (Mags) 9.1, 3. Hannah Carpenter (Mags) 8.8, 4. Kira Palmer (Med) 8.8, 5. Jessica Androsik (Mags) 8.7, 7. Ariana Cucci (Mags) 8.3, 9. Breanna Palkovic (OF) 8.05, 10. Brianna Sokol (West) 8.05.
1. Julia Corrao (Mags) 9.05, 2. Samantha Borrelli (Med) 8.45, 3. Camryn Scott (Brun) 8.4, 4. Kasten Rini (Mags) 8.4, 5. Hannah Carpenter (Mags) 8.35, 6. Kira Palmer (Med) 8.35, 7. Jessica Androsik (Mags) 8.15, 8. Frannie Myers (Avon) 8.15, 10. Brianna Sokol (West) 8.15.
1. Julia Corrao (Mags) 9.4, 2. Samantha Borrelli (Med) 9.05, 3. Hannah Carpenter (Mags) 8.95, 4. Celeste Murman (Mags) 8.9, 5. Alexx Sikora (Brun) 8.8, 6. Kira Palmer (Med) 8.7.