Monday, November 20, 2017 Elyria 30°


Elyria Catholic finishes fourth in North Coast League hockey tournament


ELYRIA — A couple of the cast members were different, but the performance was the same.
Elyria Catholic suffered through another disappointing third period, getting outscored 3-0 in what turned into a 5-2 loss to Lake Catholic in Wednesday’s third-place game of the North Coast League Tournament.
EC took a 2-1 lead with 27 seconds left in the second period, only to see Lake Catholic put in a goal with six seconds remaining in that period. The Cougars scored twice within a minute after Elyria Catholic (2-6-1) sent two to the penalty box.
“We were good for about two-and-a-half periods,” EC coach Dave Phiel said. “I like our chances when we play five-on-five, but we can’t give anyone five-on-three. We won’t win games that way.”
Pat Fielding was called for cross-checking at 6:15 of the third. Just 22 seconds later EC’s Mike Freeh was ticketed to the box for a tripping penalty.  It took Lake Catholic’s Andy Payerl six seconds to snap the 2-2 tie with an unassisted goal. Payerl scored again a minute later with the Cougars on a 5-4 advantage.
Lake Catholic (3-6-1) added a fifth score with 4:14 to play as Matt London got his second of the night.
“I think our youth’s showing,” Phiel said. “We needed to kill 27 seconds (in the second period) and we couldn’t eat the clock. We need to be able to do those things. We get momentum when we score and then have a mental lapse.”
The Panthers played without leading scorer Richie Baker, who suffered a deep cut on his face during Tuesday’s semifinal loss to Trinity, and regular goalie Brad Moore, who was given a free night.
Moore’s replacement, sophomore Andrew Field, was a bright spot for EC. Field faced 47 shots, including 39 over the last two periods.
“Goaltending wasn’t a factor tonight,” Phiel. “We were happy with Andrew’s performance. He really controlled his rebounds.”
The EC offense went dormant in the third period. The Panthers took only one shot after Chris Andrews gave them a 2-1 lead at 14:33 of the second period.
Elyria Catholic controlled the action in the first period, having a 16-8 shots on goal advantage. Matt Fielding scored on a slap shot from just inside the blue line following passes from Andrews and Pat DeSouza.
Andrews beat LC goalie Alex Guest on a delayed shot from about 10 feet away for EC’s second goal.
Contact Steve Byrne at 329-7135 or

Late Catholic 5, EC 2

Lake Catholic                  0       2       3     –    5
Elyria Catholic                 1       1       0     –    2
FIRST PERIOD: 1. EC, Matt Fielding (Chris Andrews, Pat DeSouza), 8:44. Penalty – LC, Vince Lundi (interference), 12:18.
SECOND PERIOD: 1. LC, Andy Greenlee (unassisted), 6:28; 2. EC, Chris Andrews (Pat DeSouza), 14:33; 2. LC, Matt London (unassisted), 14:54. Penalties – LC, Jeremy Todd (hooking), 4:00; EC, Justin Saunders (hooking), 6:45; LC, Tommy Michaels (high-sticking), 7:25.
THIRD PERIOD: 3. LC, Andrew Payerl (Vince Lundi), 6:43; 4. LC, Andrew Payerl (Andy Gazdak), 7:43; 5. LC, Matt London (Vince Lundi, Andrew Payerl), 10:46. Penalties – EC, Pat Fielding (cross-checking), 6:15; EC, Mike Freeh (tripping), 6:37; LC, Vince Lundi (tripping), 11:15; EC, Sean Muir (tripping), 13:09.
Shots on goal – Lake Catholic 8-24-15—47, Elyria Catholic 16-8-1—25. Goalies – LC, Alex Guest (25 shots, 23 saves); EC, Andrew Field (47 shots, 42 saves). Power-play opportunities – Lake Catholic 2 of 4, Elyria Catholic 0 of 4.

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…