Less than 24 hours after a $44 million settlement against the college in favor of Gibson’s Bakery, Oberlin College President Carmen Twillie Ambar assured alumni in an email that the punitive damage award will change.
In the letter sent to alumni that was obtained by the Chronicle-Telegram, Ambar writes: “This is not the final outcome. This is, in fact, just one step along the way of what may turn out to be a lengthy and complex legal process... It will not distract, deter or materially harm our education mission, for today’s students or for generations to come.”
Eight jurors in the civil lawsuit deliberated on punitive damages for less than three hours Thursday afternoon and came back with their verdicts shortly before 3 p.m. Their total damage award was more than $44 million, plus an as-yet-undetermined amount of attorney fees payable to the Gibsons’ legal team.
That final award will be lowered over time because of Ohio laws that set a cap on punitive damages at no more than two times the total compensatory damages. The Gibsons were awarded slightly more than $11 million in compensatory damages by the same jury last week, meaning the cap on total damages — both compensatory and punitive — is about $33.5 million.
Ambar expressed disappointment in the public discussion of the case but pledges that the college. “will learn from this lawsuit as we build a stronger relationship with our neighbors.
Read the letter.
Jurors found that the college libeled the bakery during and after student protests in November 2016. The lawsuit has put the town of Oberlin, Oberlin College and Gibson’s Bakery in the national spotlight.
Following the punitive award, Gibson’s attorney Lee Plakas said “Reckless words are as harmless as recklessly aimed bullets.”
Oberlin College attorney Ron Holman said he was unable to comment.
In a voicemail Friday, Oberlin spokesman Scott Wargo said the college had nothing more to add at this point.
- Gibsons unlikely to get $44M from Oberlin College
- Oberlin College FAQ, letter gives college's explanation of protests, admits 'unprofessional language'
- Oberlin College president says Gibson's lawsuit result has 'profound, chilling effect on free speech'
- Judge reduces Gibson's Bakery award to $25 million
- Judge considers attorney fees in Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College
- Gibson family says jury award of $33 million in punitive damages is 'clear vindication' (VIDEO)
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Jury awards more than $33 million punitive damages
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Plaintiffs rest in second day of punitive phase (UPDATED)
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Jury should get case today
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College closing arguments set for Wednesday (UPDATED)
- Closing arguments next week in Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College
- Oberlin College witness testifies that Gibson's Bakery's losses are 'grossly inflated'
- Former Oberlin College president said he tried to solve Gibson's Bakery issue
- Oberlin dean suggests other witnesses provided mistaken accounts of Gibson's protests
- Gibson's Bakery rests case v. Oberlin College
- David Gibson: College VP said college wants to put incident behind us
- CPA says protests could lead to loss of $5.8 million for Gibson's Bakery
- Court filings delay start of Gibson's trial
- Jury selection for Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College suit expected to start Friday
- Oberlin College seeks to exclude items in Gibson's lawsuit
- Gibson's v. Oberlin College to go to trial
- Documents reveal attempts to 'smear the brand' of Gibson's
- Trial date set for Gibson's v. Oberlin College
- Judge denies partial motion to dismiss Gibson's lawsuit against Oberlin College
- Gibson's Bakery responds to Oberlin College's court request
- Oberlin College resumes contract with Gibson's
- Gibson's shoplift case heads to county prosecutor
- Felony charge dropped against alleged Gibson's shoplifter; case appears headed to grand jury
- Suspect in Gibson's shoplifting has Dec. 14 date in Oberlin Municipal Court
- College skips Gibson's order as situation is evaluated
- Oberlin protesters return for second day
- Shoppers flock to Gibson's Bakery in Oberlin
- VIDEO: Protests at Gibson's in Oberlin
- Shoplifting arrest incites protests at Gibson's in Oberlin
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: More than $11 million awarded (UPDATED/VIDEO)
- Body camera footage shows aftermath of arrest at Oberlin business