Friday, October 20, 2017 Elyria 44°


Contract awarded for Route 57 widening project in Grafton


GRAFTON — Coming this summer: A construction mess in Grafton that, in the end, will make it easier to travel through town.

The office of Lorain County Engineer Ken Carney announced Wednesday that a contract has been awarded to widen and reconstruct a section of state Route 57 in Grafton to the Shelly Co. of Twinsburg.

The $4.2 million contract is around $500,000 below the $4.7 million estimated cost.

Expected to begin in April, the project calls for Route 57 to be widened from two lanes to three from Barrington Drive — the entrance to the village’s new Barrington Park housing development — south to where the CSX railroad tracks cross the road, said Linda Bales, Grafton’s clerk-treasurer.

The project will encompass about 6,400 feet, according to information provided by Carney’s office.

Work will also see concrete curbs, gutters and sidewalks built on both sides of Route 57 for the length of the widening improvements.

New storm sewers and water mains to be added as well.

Plans call for Route 57 to be closed to through traffic during construction, with detour routes posted.

Two-way local traffic will be maintained during the early phases of the project, which call for installation of underground facilities including storm sewers and water mains, according to information from the county engineer’s office.

Once all underground work is finished, a one-way traffic pattern will be maintained for local motorists.

Expected to be finished by the end of the year, the project is being funded with 80 percent federal funds. The remaining 20 percent will be provided from Ohio Public Works Commission, which funds public infrastructure projects, and the village of Grafton.

Contact Steve Fogarty at 329-7146 or

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…