The Lorain County Office of Emergency Management is advising residents affected by the natural gas outage to safely use alternative methods to heat their homes.
When using a space heater:
- Keep a clear area of 3 feet surrounding a space heater.
- If using an electric space heater, do not use a lightweight extension cord. Plug the space heater directly in to an outlet.
- Do not operate the space heater if home is unattended.
Anyone using Kerosene heaters should confirm they are using fuel designed for a Kerosene heater -- do not use gasoline. Additionally, they should be aware of the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.
CO is an odorless, colorless gas that can cause sudden death and illness. Symptoms include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain and confusion.
Anyone burning fuels indoors and experiencing these symptoms should open doors and windows and call 911.