A Level 1 alert has been issued by the Lorain County Sheriff’s Department.
Known as a snow emergency notification, the advisory is to let drivers know that roads throughout the county are regarded as hazardous for driving, and unnecessary trips are discouraged.
“If you don’t have to go out, we’re asking that people curtail their driving,” a dispatcher with the Lorain County 911 Dispatch Center said about 1:15 p.m. Thursday. “If you have to go everyone is asked to use extreme caution.”
Officials said the advisory is in effect for roadways across the county, but there have been no particularly hazardous situations reported in any given area.
Sheriff’s Department and Ohio State Highway Patrol personnel reported some instances of vehicles sliding off roads but no injuries.
The county’s 911 dispatch center reported vehicles going off roads at Broadway and state Route 254, and state Route 82 and Reed Road.
“Roads are bad but there’s nothing excessive at any one point,” a dispatcher who declined to identify herself, said.
“Some people are trying to get the excuse (of bad roads) not to go to work, but it’s not that bad yet,” the 911 dispatcher said.
Parking bans are in effect on Thursday for the following cities:
- Avon: An emergency parking ban is in place until all snow plowing operations are complete. The ban prohibits parking on any city street. Also, it is a violation of city ordinance for persons to place snow or ice on the main traveled portion of any street or highway.
- Avon Lake: An emergency snow parking ban in effect until 10 p.m. Friday.
- Elyria: Residents are asked to remove their vehicles as soon as possible from streets with posted snow parking ban signs. The complete list of cities is available on the city website. Vehicles not removed could be ticketed. Residents are also encouraged to remove their cars from secondary streets to allow for safe plowing.
- Lorain: Residents are prohibited from parking on the city streets listed below. Vehicles parked on streets may be towed.
- Vermilion: The mayor has declared a snow emergency. No parking is permitted on city streets until the notice is lifted.
In Elyria, bingo at Elyria Catholic has been canceled for tonight because of the weather.
Lorain County is under a winter weather advisory until 4 p.m. today, according to the National Weather Service. The Weather Service says another 3 to 5 inches of snow are possible today.