WELLINGTON – The suspect who allegedly rammed a vehicle after a night of drinking was not charged for the incident, and Wellington police Chief Steve Rollins said it is unknown if he will be charged.
Rollins said village Prosecutor Donald Zaleski would not approve aggravated vehicular assault charges because the alleged victims were not severely injured, and the man could not be positively identified as the driver of the vehicle.
Rollins said the suspect may face lesser charges, however, because the suspect was allegedly driving without a license.
Police were called at 2:47 a.m. Oct. 3 after a car full of teenagers and young adults, from ages 17 to 20, reported that they had been chased and struck by a vehicle that rear-ended them on Hale Street. The vehicle was registered to a female driver, but the group told police that a man that they met at a bar earlier had chased them and intentionally rammed the back end of the vehicle, according to a police report.
The five alleged victims told police that they were at Mosey Inn shooting pool when the suspect began flirting with one of the girls. The suspect then fought the father of one of the girls during a confrontation, and the suspect lost a tooth when he allegedly bit the man.
On Saturday, Oct. 5, police received a call from an anonymous person who gave police the name of the suspect. The suspect was positively identified by two of the alleged victims, according to the report.
Rollins said, despite the positive identification, the victims were unable to prove that the man who followed them was the one who hit their vehicle.