Saturday, November 18, 2017 Elyria 46°


Police dispatcher cleared of allegations she notified nephew of police response


LORAIN — Police dispatcher Adrianne Nieves has been cleared of allegations that she notified her nephew that he was about to be arrested shortly after he was accused of trying to force his way into a house where his girlfriend and baby son were.

Nieves admitted to calling and text messaging Kevin Walker Jr. on Sept. 3, according to a Sept. 24 police internal investigation report released Monday to The Chronicle-Telegram.

The communications came less than 10 minutes after a 911 call to police at 1:57 p.m. However, both Nieves and Walker denied Nieves tipped Walker off.

Nieves, hired in 2007, said she called Walker to ask how he was doing and told him to call his probation officer about getting custody visits with Walker’s son, according to the report written by Sgt. Lawrence Meek.

Nieves, who wouldn’t comment Monday, said Walker told her he heard neighbors say police were coming.

Walker, charged with domestic violence and theft, was accused of breaking through an air conditioning unit into a home in the 200 block of Maine Avenue where his girlfriend, Emily Dudkovich, was visiting her mother, Stephanie Dudkovich.

The elder Dudkovich told police that she believed Walker was tipped off by Nieves.

She said he made and answered several calls while in her home, but left shortly after answering the last call which was brief.

Walker, 22, fled the home and was later arrested at his home in the 700 block of Furnace Street in Elyria, according to a police Officer Richard Hall’s report.

Brianna Dudkovich, Emily Dudkovich’s sister, said Walker told her in a phone call that his aunt had notified him that “police were looking for him,” but Meek wrote that Brianna Dudkovich’s statements were inconsistent with the arrest report.

He wrote that Stephanie Dudkovich denied calling police about the break-in, but phone records showed she did.

Meek also wrote that there were discrepancies in what Nieves told him.

Nieves first said she called Walker after her shift ended at 2 p.m., but phone records said the first call was at 1:57 p.m.

Nieves said Walker didn’t answer so she text messaged him at 2:04 p.m. The text said, “What’s going on?” and wasn’t answered, according to the report.

Nieves also admitted to speaking with her sister, Angela Marrero, shortly after the 911 call. However Nieves said she didn’t remember if she called Marrero or Marrero called her.

Marrero arrived at Stephanie Dudkovich’s house shortly after Walker fled, berated the Dudkovichs and tried to follow them in her car as they left the home with the baby, according to the arrest report.

Police stopped her and cited her for failing to use a turn signal.

In clearing Nieves, Meek wrote that the allegations against her were unproven. Meek also recommended the police department consider enacting a policy prohibiting department employees from contacting anyone, including family members, during a police response, according an internal memo from Chief Cel Rivera.

Contact Evan Goodenow at 329-7129 or

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…