Saturday, September 23, 2017 Elyria 59°


Mother allegedly beat teen girl repeatedly


LORAIN — Police and Lorain County Children Services are investigating a report that a 15-year-old girl was routinely beaten by her mother.

The girl and her grandmother reported the incidents to Lorain police on Sunday, telling an officer that the alleged attacks occurred in the mother’s West 9th Street home. The most recent attack occurred around 5:30 p.m. Thursday when the girl’s mother allegedly slapped her until she “blacked out” after an argument over the 15-year-old girl getting a job and paying bills, according to a police report.

The attack occurred in the kitchen in front of her 3-year-old niece, the girl told police.

Police said the girl had no signs of injury Sunday, but her brother told police that his mother had been beating his sister for awhile, and he observed her with a “busted lip” when they lived at a home in Cleveland — an incident he said was reported to a Children Services agency in the Cleveland area.

Police returned with the girl to the West 9th Street home, despite the girl’s pleas that she would be beaten again. An officer spoke with the girl’s mother, who admitted to slapping the girl in the face but said she did so because she was misbehaving.

The mother denied beating her child and said her daughter made up the allegations because she likes going to her grandmother’s house, where she isn’t disciplined, according to the report.

During a tour of the home, police noted that the girl’s bedroom was in an upstairs room, which contained a single mattress on the floor and clothes and several items on the bed. Police said the attic wasn’t insulated, and the door to the attic had a metal lock on the outside of the door.

The woman told police the lock was on the door when the family moved in and that her daughter had picked the attic as her bedroom.

The woman told police that Children Services had been at her home earlier that day, and she told police she had been investigated by an agency in Cleveland, but the case was closed because of insufficient evidence.

The girl was returned to her mother because Turning Point in Elyria was full, according to the report.

The mother was not charged, but Children Services told police that they would follow up with the family.

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…