Monday, November 20, 2017 Elyria 28°


Stove fire damages apartment in Lorain


LORAIN — A fire that started with oil in a pan caused thousands of dollars in property damage.

The Lorain Fire Department responded to the 1400 block of Herbert Drive at about 10:30 p.m. Monday for a fire.

According to Assistant Fire Chief Roy Cochran, a tenant in one of the apartment unit’s began cooking with oil on the stove, then fell asleep.

“He woke up to smoke,” Cochran said.

The man left his apartment in search of an extinguisher, but the two nearest his unit did not work, forcing him to find a third one in a different section of the complex.

All residents were escorted out of the building, and no injuries were reported.

The kitchen ceiling and cabinets sustained the most damage.

Cochran reported approximately $20,000 in property damage and $5,000 in contents after the fire was extinguished.

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…