Saturday, November 25, 2017 Elyria 50°


No charges filed following December incident at Trent Richardson's home


COLUMBIA STATION — Charges weren’t filed after a December dispute at Browns’ running back Trent Richardson’s home because of the contradictory accounts of those involved, Elyria City Prosecutor Matt Mishak said Monday.

“I didn’t believe the charges should be issued at this point because of conflicting stories,” he said.

Krystal Jones and Kathleen Hunter filed a lawsuit against Richardson and others last week in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court, accusing Richardson and others at his Eagle Point Court house of physically and verbally assaulting them Dec. 10.

Lorain County sheriff’s Deputy Todd Weegmann wrote in his report that Jones told him that she, Hunter and a third woman, Latanya Williams, were out with Trent Richardson’s brother, Terrell Richardson, whom she identified as her boyfriend, at a Cleveland nightclub Dec. 9.

At some point in the night, Terrell Richardson left, and the three women drove over to the house where the Richardson brothers live.

Jones, who acknowledged she had been drinking but denied being intoxicated, said that when she and Hunter walked inside, they were confronted by Trent Richardson, who told them to leave. They walked back outside, she told deputies, and got into the car, but Trent Richardson’s girlfriend, Sevina Fatu, opened the door and began to strike both women in the face.

Trent Richardson then began to pound on the hood of the vehicle — deputies noted a dent in the vehicle — and demanded that they leave his property, the women said.

Jones had slight swelling around her left eye, Weegmann wrote, and Hunter had a small bloody cut under her left eye. She was taken to Southwest General Hospital for treatment.

The Richardsons and Fatu, however, told a far different story when deputies went to the house.

Trent Richardson said that Jones and Hunter walked into his house around 4:30 a.m. on Dec. 10 without being invited and were being loud. He said he told the women to leave because they were waking up his sleeping children and that Jones told him to mind his own business.

He told deputies that he again told them to leave and that Jones slammed the door so hard it nearly broke the glass.

Trent Richardson said that he and Fatu walked outside to make sure the women were leaving and they were in the driveway yelling at his brother. Terrell Richardson reported that Jones called him earlier in the night and told him that he had some explaining to do, but he told her not to come to the house because she wasn’t welcome.

Trent Richardson told deputies that Jones and Hunter continued to refuse to leave and Fatu tried to get Jones in the car and both Jones and Hunter began fighting with Fatu, who told deputies that Jones pushed her and she shoved back. She reported that Hunter then began to attack her before getting in the car and driving toward Trent Richardson.

Weegmann wrote that Fatu had a long scratch mark on her right cheek and a scratch mark on the left side of her neck.

Trent Richardson also told deputies that Hunter got into the driver’s seat and attempted to drive forward. He said he slammed his hands on the hood to get her attention so she wouldn’t drive into his parked car.

After that, the report said, Jones and Hunter left. Williams told deputies that she didn’t know what happened because she was asleep in the backseat of the vehicle.

Weegmann also noted that he had difficulty getting in touch with Jones and Hunter after the incident and on Dec. 13, Jones told him that she and Hunter had hired a lawyer.

A Cleveland Browns spokesman declined comment Monday.

Chronicle Browns writer Scott Petrak contributed to this story. Contact Brad Dicken at 329-7147 or

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…