Friday, November 24, 2017 Elyria 30°


Grease fire damages Elyria Avenue home


LORAIN — A small kitchen fire caused an estimated $17,000 damage to an Elyria Avenue residence Saturday afternoon.

Firefighters were called 5:36 p.m. to 3155 Elyria Ave., where they found a neighbor had responded to pleas for help from the homeowner, and extinguished most of the fire with a dry chemical extinguisher, according to Lorain Assistant Fire Chief Ron Cochran.

“We got there two minutes after the call came in, and the fire was out about 10 minutes after that,” Cochran said. “We finished it off and checked for any extension (of the fire) into the walls or drywall around the stove.”

The house was home to a family of seven, three of whom were present when the fire began.

No injuries were reported, but a teenaged daughter who has asthma was checked out by paramedics, Cochran said.

The teen refused to be taken to the hospital.

The cause of the fire was attributed to residual grease on the stove that caught fire after the family had been cooking.

Damage was confined mostly to the kitchen and a nearby bathroom.

Contact Steve Fogarty at 329-7146 or

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…