Saturday, November 18, 2017 Elyria 46°


Murder suspect to return to Lorain today


Lorain police intend to bring Albert Fine back to Lorain County today to face an aggravated murder charge for allegedly strangling Catherine “Kat” Hoholski earlier this year.

Fine, 30, has been held in a Lexington, Ky., jail since he was arrested Aug. 9 in a Lowe’s parking lot a day after Hoholski’s decomposed body was found stuffed into a storage area at the Villas of Beau Monde apartments where the couple lived.

Lorain police Lt. Mark Carpentiere said the paperwork and legal proceedings necessary to return Fine to Ohio have been completed, and detectives drove down to Kentucky on Thursday to pick him up. Fine had been fighting his extradition, but after authorities were able to prove his identity and obtain a governor’s warrant, a Kentucky judge ruled he should be sent back to Ohio.

Once Fine returns, Carpentiere said, he will be held at the Lorain City Jail until he is arraigned in Lorain Municipal Court, something that is supposed to take place Monday.

Fine confessed to Lorain police detectives during an Aug. 11 interview that he suspected Hoholski, the mother of his daughter, was cheating on him.

He told police he hid in a closet in their apartment on June 28 so he could confront her and when she came into their apartment he “grabbed her, pushed her into the bedroom and choked her until she was “sleeping.’ ”

During his confession, Fine reportedly told police he bound Hoholski’s hands with sex toy handcuffs and her feet with a belt. He also put a bandana in her mouth to keep her from screaming.

But Hoholski broke the handcuffs and began struggling, which Fine said led him to choke and beat her. He told police he left the room to clean blood off himself, and when he came back Hoholski was dead.

Police reported that the apartment smelled of decomposition, liquid appeared to have pooled on part of the carpet and there also were visible blood stains. Detectives also noted that the bathtub and kitchen sink had been “extensively cleaned.”

After killing Hoholski, Fine allegedly took her body to the storage unit, where it remained until it was discovered Aug. 8 following weeks of complaints from residents about the odor.

In the meantime, police said Fine withdrew money from Hoholski’s bank account, used her phone to make it appear she was still alive and continued to visit their hospitalized daughter with Hoholski’s mother, who reported her daughter missing to police on July 12.

The mother, Jane Hoholski, told police that she last saw her daughter on June 28, the day Fine told police he killed her.

Contact Brad Dicken at 329-7147 or

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…