Tuesday, January 16, 2018 Elyria


Grill explosion leaves man seriously burned


AMHERST – An explosion at an automobile work garage in Amherst caused serious injuries to a man who was working there.

Lorain County Sheriff’s deputies were sent to Barson’s, 46205 Telegraph Road, to investigate an accident in which a man was badly burned.

A witness who lived next door to the business, Candace Barson, told police she heard a loud boom and ran next door to find a man lying on his side with his clothes on fire. Barson extinguished the flames and called 911.

Michael Myhrman, 41, of Amherst, was reportedly working on a homemade BBQ grill in the shop when a metal drum containing denatured alcohol exploded. Police said the drum had a welding burn mark in it as if Myhrman was trying to cut it into sections.

Myhrman was transferred EMH Regional Medical Center of Amherst and later flown to Cleveland MetroHealth Medical Center for his injuries. According to a police report, his injuries were serious but did not appear to be critical.

According to the report, Sgt. Daniel Ashdown reported hearing Myrhrman admit to Life Flight nurses that he had been drinking while he was working on the grill and had approximately six to 10 beers.

Barson said Myhrman did not work for Barson’s but completed odd jobs for the shop.

Contact Chelsea Miller at 329-7123 or cmiller@chroniclet.com.

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…