Tuesday, September 26, 2017 Elyria 64°


Man arrested for Wilkes Villa shooting


ELYRIA — Less than a week after being ordered to stay away from Lorain Metropolitan Housing Authority properties, city resident Sean Buchanan is accused of shooting a woman in the foot at one of the properties around 2:45 p.m. Wednesday.

City resident Asia Jackson, 19, of the 400 block of Fuller Road, suffered a non-life-threatening wound to her right foot after being shot near the intersection of Tedman Court and Pratt Boulevard, according to a news release from police Sgt. Lee Frank.

In the release, Frank, who couldn’t be reached for comment Wednesday night, didn’t say what the motive was for the shooting, what the relationship was between Buchanan and Jackson or whether the gun was recovered.

Buchanan, 20, was charged with felonious assault, tampering with evidence and possession of drug paraphernalia. Buchanan, due in Elyria Municipal Court today, was being held without bond at Lorain County Jail on Wednesday night.

Elyria Municipal Court Judge Gary C. Bennett had ordered Buchanan to stay away from authority properties, particularly Wilkes Villa, the south side complex where the shooting occurred. The apartment on Tedman Court where Buchanan was arrested and is his last known address is also in that complex.

Bennett’s order came during the sentencing hearing for a criminal trespassing case involving Buchanan for being at the apartment. Bennett told Buchanan that as a condition of his suspended sentence of 30 days in jail, he was not to go to the housing complex for five years.

Dozens of officers responded to Wednesday’s incident after a child reported seeing a man shooting into a silver vehicle. Officers searched several apartments before a handcuffed Buchanan was taken out of an apartment building and tested for gunshot residue.

A woman pleaded with officers to speak with Buchanan after his arrest.

“Can I at least say goodbye?” she said.

“No, he is not supposed to be here,” an officer replied. “He is on the no-trespassing list.”

Buchanan was first arrested April 18 for criminal trespassing at Wilkes Villa. When Buchanan appeared in court April 27, he was found guilty and told for the first time not to return to Wilkes Villa.

Less than a month later, he was arrested for a second time on Tedman Court. That case led to Bennett reiterating the court order.

Troy Murphy, Buchanan’s lawyer in that case, refused to comment on the shooting and its implications on Buchanan’s suspended sentence.

Homer Virden, authority executive director, couldn’t be reached for comment.

Reporter Evan Goodenow contributed to this story. Contact Lisa Roberson at 329-7121 or lroberson@chroniclet.com.

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…