ELYRIA — The Lorain County Board of Elections voted Tuesday to eliminate 19 voting precincts across the county. The cuts follow similar action taken by the board in February when it voted to do away with 16 precincts countywide.
The reduction in precincts falls in line with efforts at the county level to cut costs, Board of Elections Director Paul Adams said.
“That was the chief impetus for this. We’ve been looking for every way to do that,” Adams said.
Tuesday’s action is expected to cut an estimated $27,000 by reducing personnel, voting machines and materials at specific polling places. The 16-precinct cut made earlier in the year is anticipated to reduce costs by $24,000, Adams said.
The cuts reduce the total number of precincts in the county from 234 to 199. Most all of the changes will take effect for the November election. Registered voters in precincts being eliminated will vote in other locations once their precincts are eliminated.
- Amherst will lose one precinct in Ward 1.
- Elyria will lose one precinct each in Wards 2, 6 and 7.
- Lorain will lose two precincts each in Wards 1 and 6 and one precinct in Ward 2.
- Sheffield Lake will lose one precinct in Ward 1.
- Vermilion will combine two precincts into one.
- Columbia Township will lose two of six precincts.
- Eaton Township will lose two of five precincts.
- Elyria Township will lose one of three precincts.
- LaGrange Township will lose one of three precincts.
- New Russia Township will lose one of two precincts.
- Wellington will lose one of three precincts.
Polling place changes
- Avon — Voters in Precinct 2-A who had cast ballots at Providence Church will now vote at Avenbury Lakes.
- Avon Lake — Voters who had cast ballots at Learwood School will now vote at American Legion Post 211.
- Elyria — Voters who had cast ballots at Eastern Heights School will now vote at East Recreation Center; voters who had cast ballots at Lake and Walnut Church of Christ will now vote at West Recreation Center.
- Lorain — Voters who had cast ballots at the main Lorain Public Library will now vote at Whittier Middle School ( Precincts 6-A, 6-B, 6-C) and Sacred Heart Chapel (6-D). Voters who had cast ballots at Lorain Central Fire Station will now vote at Black River Landing
- North Ridgeville — Voters who had cast ballots at Lear North School will now vote at North Ridgeville Education Center.
- Sheffield Lake — Voters who had cast ballots at Knollwood School will now vote at Joyce E. Hanks Community Civic Center.
- Carlisle Township — Voters who had cast ballots at Midview High School will now vote at LaPorte Methodist Church.
- Eaton Township — Voters who had cast ballots at Midview High School will now vote at North Eaton Christian Church.
- Wellington Village & Township — Voters who had cast ballots at First United Methodist Church of Wellington and Wellington Village Fire Station will now vote at Habilitation Center.
Contact Steve Fogarty at 329-7146 or firstname.lastname@example.org.