Monday, October 23, 2017 Elyria 69°


Woman accused of trying to kill son out on bond


ELYRIA — A Wellington nurse accused of trying twice to kill her 17-year-old son was released on bond Tuesday, according to Lorain County Jail records.

Shannon Weber, 42, was ordered to remain on house arrest except for when she receives treatment or for legal matters and is barred from having any contact with her son, Lorain County Common Pleas Judge James Burge wrote in his decision to free Weber on a personal bond.

Prosecutors had opposed lowering the $250,000 bond that Weber was being held on. She has pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity to charges of attempted murder and felonious assault.

Assistant County Prosecutor Sherry Glass noted in court documents that the only evaluations completed at this time show that Weber knew what she was doing when she allegedly tried to kill her son.

Glass wrote that Weber remains dangerous.

“The Defendant planned to and took substantial steps to kill herself and her son,” Glass wrote. “There is nothing in front of this court that indicates that the Defendant is not a threat to her son, herself, or the community.”

According to prosecutors and police, Weber tried to kill her son by giving him an overdose of pills on Dec. 31 and had planned to shoot him Jan. 4.

In the first incident, Glass wrote, Weber gave her son approximately 20 pills that she told him were to deal with a high level of enzymes in his liver. The son passed out and slept for more than 18 hours because of the pills.

That same night, Weber allegedly put superglue in the front door lock of her home to keep her and her son from being found. She also searched websites that night for how to commit suicide and had planned to use plastic hose and duct tape police found in her home to pump exhaust from her car into her bedroom to kill herself, Glass wrote.

In the second attempt, Glass wrote, Weber took some pills and then called her son into her bedroom. She told him something had come for him that day and to close his eyes.

The boy closed his eyes but opened them and saw her pointing a gun at his head, Glass wrote. The boy managed to take the gun and call 911, according to the court documents.

She later told police that she had planned to kill her son and herself but couldn’t pull the trigger.

In his request to have his client released on bond, Patrick Leary, Weber’s lawyer, argued that Weber needed to be free to receive mental treatment. He wrote that she has shown some progress in the jail but will receive more at the Nord Center.

Weber will stay with her boyfriend, David Garza, a former military police officer, Leary wrote.

Contact Brad Dicken at 329-7147 or

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…