Wednesday, October 18, 2017 Elyria 49°


Lorain sex offender found dead in prison


A convicted sex offender who once claimed to be an ax murderer has died in prison.

Carlo LoParo, a spokesman for the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, said Theodore Miller died June 5 at Warren Correctional Institution, where he was serving a four-year sentence for failing to register as a sex offender.

LoParo said the 29-year-old Miller died of natural causes, although an autopsy has yet to determine exactly what led to Miller’s death. LoParo said there were no signs of foul play that led investigators to believe the death was anything other than natural.

Miller’s death also ends a new case that was filed against Miller earlier this year in which he was accused of having sexual contact with a boy he knew on June 24, 2010. He had pleaded not guilty to the charge of gross sexual imposition.

Kenneth Lieux, Miller’s lawyer, said he hasn’t been told anything by prison officials other than that Miller died.

Miller was on probation for failing to register as a sex offender when his latest alleged crime took place.

He had been released from prison in 2009 after serving four years in prison for sodomizing a 10-year-old boy on Aug. 26, 2005. Prosecutors said in court filings that Miller sexually assaulted the boy while the boy was urinating in the woods, where the pair had gone to look for frogs.

Miller also has a string of other convictions as a juvenile and an adult, including for burglary, drugs, arson, robbery and petty theft. He also was convicted of rape as a juvenile for sexually a assaulting a boy over a three-year period starting when the boy was 5 years old.

Before he was indicted on the latest sex charge, Miller had come to the attention of Lorain police after claiming that he had dismembered a homeless family with an ax and buried their bodies near the Black River.

Miller told officers that he lured the woman and her two children into his tent and killed them while other residents at the homeless camp were having breakfast at Catholic Charities.

Police dug a 6-foot-deep pit near the 12th Street railroad trestle where Miller claimed to have buried the bodies but found no evidence of human remains.

Miller continued to insist that he was a murderer even after the search came up empty, which led police to conclude he had mental issues that caused him to believe he’d killed the family.

Contact Brad Dicken at 329-7147 or

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…