Monday, October 23, 2017 Elyria 69°


Repairs blamed for Lorain fire


LORAIN — Power saws or welding equipment may be responsible for a minor blaze Tuesday on the roof of a building on the 900 block of Broadway, Lorain Fire Chief Thomas Brown said.

Workers repairing the roof of a warehouse owned by Dye’s Appliance reported the fire at 2:25 p.m.

Lorain firefighters pour water on a building fire Tuesday in Lorain.

“As the roofers were cutting, it appears that heat from a cutting device starting the fire,” Brown said.

Witnesses also said it looked like the fire was sparked as workers were using welding equipment.

Windows in the building were blocked, and Brown said firefighters had to punch ventilation holes into the cinder block. The fire was contained between the roof and the interior ceiling. Firefighters cut through from underneath the ceiling and forced the flames out.

Lori Wilson, an employee at nearby Gergely’s Maintenance King, said she saw smoke and flames pour out of the warehouse roof from her vantage point across the street.

Lorain fire crews were on the scene almost immediately, Wilson said.

“It was under control before it was out of control,” she said.

Damage estimates were not available Tuesday night.

Contact Jason Hawk at 653-6264 or

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…