LORAIN — Ted Kalo eked out a narrow victory over Jeff Bearer to win the Democratic spot for Lorain Municipal Clerk of Courts.
Kalo defeated Bearer 51 percent to 49 percent, or 2,491 votes to 2,379 votes, according to unofficial election results.
The thin margin of victory came as a surprise to Kalo, who was appointed to the position in January after the former Clerk of Courts Lori Maiorana resigned with one year remaining in her current term. He resigned from his county commissioner position to take the job.
“Yes, I was very surprised (at how close it was),” Kalo said. “They were running a very negative campaign against me the entire time. I didn’t think the negative would be as effective, based on my years of service in the community and what’s happened through the years.”
After the close finish, Kalo was thankful to all who voted for him.
“I’m thrilled to have won. I’d like to thank the residents of Lorain, Sheffield Lake and Sheffield Township,” he said. “It was a very difficult race. Whenever you’re working with a lower turnout, it’s not like running countywide.”
Bearer worked in the clerk’s office under Maiorana, but he was fired when Kalo took over the seat after his appointment. Maiorana resigned from her seat, effective Jan. 1, in December, citing health reasons, though Lorain police have said her office was under investigation for alleged improprieties.
When asked for comment on the election results Tuesday night, Bearer said, “I have no comment for The Chronicle.”
Kalo will now face Republican Trina Smith, who was unopposed in the primary, in the November general election.
- Election guide: Lorain Clerk of Courts
- Lorain police: Keep us out of politics in clerk of courts' race
- 4 candidates disqualified from May primary
- Primary election shapes up
- Ted Kalo dismisses potential challenger from Lorain Court Clerk's office
- Field forming to fill vacant commissioner's seat left by Ted Kalo
- Lorain County commissioner Ted Kalo named Lorain clerk of courts
- Democrats to pick new Lorain Municipal Court clerk soon
- Lorain Municipal Court clerk steps down amid police investigation
- Commissioner announces run for Lorain Muni Court clerk