AVON LAKE — Mayor Greg Zilka announced he will seek re-election this year, and he will see a familiar face across from him on the ballot.
Zilka, who started as Avon Lake mayor in December 2011, said he takes pride in the efforts he has made to improve Avon Lake. Zilka’s opponent will be former mayor Karl “K.C.” Zuber, who hopes to reclaim his seat he lost in 2011. The two ran a tight race after a runoff election resulted in a 29-vote decision in Zilka’s favor.
“As the mayor of Avon Lake, I believe that I have demonstrated strong leadership in promoting the unique and special opportunities of our beautiful city, resulting in sound fiscal decisions during tough times and insuring the excellent safety responses and services our citizens deserve,” Zilka said in a release.
Zilka also said he faced major budget cuts due to the economic recession when he started. But using programs and working closely with local businesses to work on economic growth, Zilka said jobs and businesses have remained in the city.
As safety director, Zilka also spoke about the city’s high-quality Police, Fire, EMS and Public Works departments. Under his administration, two firefighter/paramedics were added.
Zilka said residents kept asking him if he was going to run or not, so he decided to clear things up.
He was considering retiring, but decided he could lead the city another four years.
- Primary election shapes up
- Former Avon Lake mayor up in arms over pay raises
- Avon Lake council at large
- Candidates aplenty for Avon Lake Council
- 2017 Lorain County election results (FINAL UNOFFICIAL RESULTS)
- Avon Lake mayoral race was county's costliest
- Greg Zilka defeats Karl Zuber in Avon Lake
- Zilka beats Zuber, according to unofficial results
- Avon Lake voters head to polls for mayor runoff
- Zilka, Zuber head to tight runoff Tuesday
- Karl Zuber, Gregory Zilka headed for runoff for Avon Lake mayor
- Avon Lake mayoral candidate taking signs down for holiday
- Avon Lake mayoral race heads to runoff
- Avon Lake’s mayoral race a cash-burner
- Mayors recap year, share plans for future
- The State of their cities: Mayors of Avon, Avon Lake, Sheffield, Sheffield Lake talk problems, progress with jabs, jokes