Another primary election has drawn to a close, and the winning candidates now look toward the general election in November.
One exception is Domestic Relations Judge Lisa Swenski. After winning a crowded and contentious Democratic primary, she’ll be unopposed on the November ballot.
The governor’s race for November has been set as well. Richard Cordray has emerged from a crowded field tor the Democratic nomination, and Mike DeWine defeated Mary Taylor for the Republican nomination. In the other contested statewide race, Jim Renacci won the Republican primary for U.S. Senate. He’ll challenge Democratic incumbent Sherrod Brown in the fall.
Joe Miller emerged from a crowded field to be the Democratic candidate for the 56th Ohio House district.
Bob Gibbs won the Republican primary and is looking for a fifth term in the U.S. House. His opponent in November will be Ken Harbaugh.
Marcy Kaptur, the longest-serving woman in the U.S. House, won her Democratic primary easily and will face Steve Kraus in the general election.
For the third election in a row, the 4th District race will come down to Republican incumbent Jim Jordan against Democratic challenger Janet Garrett.
And as predicted, turnout was low. Lorain County Board of Elections officials were nearly spot-on with predictions of low voter turnout for Tuesday’s primary election.
Only 41,674 of the 209,160 registered voters in the county voted, according to Board of Elections Director Paul Adams. On Monday, Adams had predicted 18 percent voter turnout, with Deputy Director Jim Kramer predicting 19 percent.
Adams said other than the low voter turnout, there were no issues during the primary election.
There were 378 provisional ballots cast in the election. There also are 448 outstanding absentee ballots.
“The vast majority of provisionals normally count,” Adams said. “However, usually only a small percent of the outstanding absentee ballots actually arrive and are valid. They have to arrive here within the next 10 days and must be postmarked yesterday.”
- Democratic governor candidate Richard Cordray visits Avon Lake picnic
- Jim Jordan announces run for Speaker of the House (UPDATED)
- Conservative group running pro-Renacci ads, mailers
- A look at voting in race for Lorain County Domestic Relations judge
- 72 votes rejected from May primary by Board of Elections
- Ohio winners list
- Republicans vow to show Ohio still a 'Trump state'
- Nathan Manning wins Republican primary for Ohio Senate seat currently held by his mother
- Pair of renewals will keep Columbia schools afloat
- Mental health, developmental disabilities levies pass
- Primary election results (FINAL UNOFFICIAL RESULTS)
- Incumbent Lisa Swenski prevails in crowded Domestic Relations Judge's race