ELYRIA — A candidate for Domestic Relations Court judge did not use a complete quote from The Chronicle-Telegram in a recent mailer.
Defense attorney Michael Duff, who is running against incumbent Judge Lisa Swenski and two others in a Democratic primary for the position, and his campaign sent out a mailer including a quote from an Aug. 31, 2016, interview Swenski gave a reporter.
“I feel bad for anybody who thinks I’m doing a good job, because chances are I’m not,” the mailer reads, attributing the quote to Swenski.
However, in a Chronicle story from the next day, the quote reads, “I feel bad for anybody who thinks I’m doing a good job because chances are pretty good that I’m not running again.”
Duff said he got the quote from a video the paper posted and had a certified court reporter transcribe it to make sure the quotes were correct.
“I got it off a video The Chronicle posted to YouTube,” he said. “I wanted to quote it and if I was going to do that, I wanted to make sure it was correct.”
Duff provided The Chronicle with a copy of the transcript certified by court reporter Jennifer Mounsey.
“I feel bad for anybody who thinks I’m doing a good job, because chances are I’m not (inaudible),” the transcript reads.
“The audio doesn’t show that she says ‘running again,’” he said. “I got a court reporter to transcribe this to make sure it was correct and it comes up as inaudible in the transcript.”
Swenski did not respond to request for comment.
- A look at voting in race for Lorain County Domestic Relations judge
- Swenski top spender in Lorain County Domestic Relations Court judge race
- 2018 Primary Election Guide: Lorain County Domestic Relations Judge's Race
- Firetruck causes ruckus in Sheffield Lake
- Bar Association recommends all local judge candidates -- except one
- May primary will feature crowded domestic relations judge's race
- Bradley announces bid for domestic relations judge
- Attorney pulls petitions to run for domestic relations judge
- 3 candidates have filed bankruptcy in past
- Judge Frank Janik says Judge Lisa Swenski upset over campaign donations
- Judicial candidates tout qualifications at Bar Association event
- Diversity main topic at CHIP election forum