CLEVELAND — Some of U.S. Rep. Jim Renacci's recent attacks against Secretary of State Jon Husted in the four-way Republican contest for Ohio governor were coordinated through a private entity called Citizens for Trump.
Cleveland.com reports the Renacci campaign registered the domain name dishonestjonny.com on Sept. 5 and transferred it to Citizens for Trump. A spokesman says Renacci's campaign discussed some of the attack website's content with the group. He says such coordination is legal under Ohio election law as long as it appears on campaign finance filings.
Citizens for Trump endorsed Renacci earlier this year. It bills itself as a grassroots organization but is part of Patriotic Strategies, a Texas-based limited liability corporation.
The website had gone dark as of Thursday. The company couldn't immediately be reached.
- GOP governor candidate Renacci picks running mate, asserts Trump support (UPDATED)
- Ohio GOP Rep. Renacci joins Senate race against Dems' Brown
- State Sen. Gayle Manning endorses Jon Husted for governor
- DeWine, Husted join forces in run for Ohio governor
- GOP's Renacci attacks rivals for Ohio governor as 'fat cats'
- Female governor candidates abound in Ohio, but can one win?
- Kasich's backing a mixed blessing for GOP's Mary Taylor
- Mary Taylor nears announcement of governor run
- Ohio governor's race to see record-setting number of women
- Congressman Renacci joins Republican field for governor
- Former governor candidate Blackwell starts pro-Trump super PAC
- Former U.S. Rep Sutton to run for Ohio governor