ELYRIA — The school district has picked the firm that will design a new Ely Stadium.
On Wednesday night, school board members decided on the Architectural Vision Group to guide them through the design of phases 1 and 2 of the new athletic complex to be built on the south side of town. The Westlake-based firm, headed by principal architect Syed Abbas, is the same firm that designed Elyria High School.
With the new stadium — at a price tag of more than $9 million — coming in as a locally funded initiative using all local tax dollars, school officials have the leeway to bypass the Ohio Schools Facilities Commission and go with a firm it has worked with in the past. For November’s successful bond issue, AVG did a lot of preliminary work and rendering for the project and the schematic master plan will further that work.
Abbas said the project’s overall look will not change from what voters approved months ago. Now, his firm is tasked with developing all the designs related to the facility’s architecture and structure.
Phase 1 includes a synthetic turf field and track, field house, home grandstands for 3,500 spectators, visitor bleachers for 1,500 people, a new press box and parking for 300 cars. Phase 2 will be designed now, but not built until more funding can be secured and includes a baseball field, tennis courts, baseball field house and an addition.
The total design contract is $750,645, about 6.5 percent of construction cost.
It is not known if AVG will also work on the upcoming schools building project. The OSFC will be heavily involved in picking the architect for the new schools since 67 percent of the project’s funding comes from the state.
AVG is in the running for the new school building construction project, Abbas said.
Superintendent Tom Jama said the stadium project will get underway by the summer, and construction at the new site to the south of the current stadium will not disrupt any games, events or next year’s graduation ceremony.
The target date for the new stadium’s opening is the 2018-19 school year.
- Last graduation at Ely Stadium brings parking challenges, memories
- 100-foot lights shine way to new Elyria stadium (VIDEO)
- New Elyria Schools stadium on its way (VIDEO)
- Elyria Schools might get break on building expenses
- Out with the old and in with the new as Ely Stadium construction continues (VIDEO)
- Project manager assures that Ely Stadium will be done by the start of football season
- Elyria school board approves stadium plan
- Elyria Schools stadium project needs land owned by a district administrator
- Elyria schools hire high school architect for more school construction
- State variance gives Elyria Schools a potty break for stadium project
- Rezoning a step ahead for new Elyria stadium
- Elyria planning commission holds off on approving stadium plans
- Superintendent: New building plan 'mindful of history'
- Elyria schools to hold first meeting tonight on bond issue
- Survey: Elyria voters still poised to say yes to schools' bond issue, but are more wary about athletic complex
- Elyria schools plan less tradition, more campus-style
- Elyria Schools: Committees to present master plan to board Wednesday
- Elyria forum tackles sports complex concerns
- Elyria Schools presents multi-sport complex idea
- Committee envisions multimillion-dollar Elyria sports complex
- Elyria Schools overhaul proposed