As our state legislature reconvenes, the Lorain County School Superintendents are encouraging our legislators to consider the following policy recommendations.
We encourage superintendent groups across Ohio to dialogue with their citizens and contact their legislators, advocating for common sense education policy.
- Pass legislation to limit charter schools’ per pupil deduction to the actual amount the child the district would have received from the state. Any additional dollars needed to meet the established per pupil funding level for charter school students should be provided through a separate state budget line item specifically for charter schools.
- Pass House Bill 2, bringing better oversight and accountability to the relationships among charter sponsors, governing bodies and operators. HB 2 should include amendments to keep charter management organizations from owning any property they purchase for the school.
- Introduce legislation that restores Tangible Personal Property payments for 2017. We support ongoing implementation of the “offset concept” and recommend it be enacted prior to Dec. 31, 2015.
- Seek amendments to House Bill 70 and the academic distress commission procedures that will preserve and enhance democracy and local control. Require the state superintendent to engage the elected board of education in the school improvement process prior to appointment of the new CEO in Youngstown.
- Pass legislation that will require the election of all state school board members.