ELYRIA — The start of testimony in the lawsuit filed by Gibson’s Bakery against Oberlin College has been delayed again.
Jury selection is now expected to begin Wednesday morning, as motion hearings have taken longer than expected. Attorneys for both sides have appeared before Judge John Miraldi since Tuesday to argue their sides in the hearings.
No hearings are scheduled for today, but a hearing is scheduled to take place in the courtroom Tuesday afternoon. Miraldi’s criminal docket is scheduled for Mondays, and his court has Drug Recovery Court every Tuesday morning.
Gibson’s sued Oberlin College in 2017 after a November 2016 shoplifting case involving an Oberlin College student led to protests outside of the store and Oberlin College severing longstanding business ties with the business.
Gibson’s sued the college and Meredith Raimondo, vice president and dean of students, for libel, slander, interference with business relationships, interference with contracts, deceptive trade practices, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent hiring and trespass.
In a ruling last week, Miraldi tossed the slander counts and deceptive trade practices against the college and Raimondo. The count alleging negligent hiring, retention and supervision against Raimondo only was tossed as well.
- Jury selection set to start today in Gibson's suit
- Opening statements could come this afternoon in Gibson's lawsuit against Oberlin College
- Attorneys say Oberlin College students made 'declaration of war' against Gibson's
- Oberlin police chief: Riot team was almost called for Gibson's Bakery protest
- Day 3 of Gibson's v. Oberlin College trial sees former college employee testify for bakery
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Meredith Raimondo testifies she didn't have control over students
- Gibson family says protest at bakery changed their lives
- Gibsons' family friend testifies in bakery's trial against Oberlin College
- Gibson's Bakery gains victories on evidence
- CPA says protests could lead to loss of $5.8 million for Gibson's Bakery
- Jury selection for Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College suit expected to start Friday
- Oberlin College seeks to exclude items in Gibson's lawsuit
- Documents reveal attempts to 'smear the brand' of Gibson's
- Gibson's v. Oberlin College to go to trial
- Trial date set for Gibson's v. Oberlin College
- Oberlin College to begin 'good neighbor' service plan for students
- Gibson's Bakery lawsuit stays in Lorain County
- Gibson's Bakery moves to block venue change
- Oberlin College wants lawsuit moved to Cuyahoga County
- Judge denies partial motion to dismiss Gibson's lawsuit against Oberlin College
- Gibson's Bakery responds to Oberlin College's court request
- Oberlin College files motion to dismiss Gibson's lawsuit
- Gibson's Bakery struggling after loss of Oberlin College business, owner says
- Gibson's sues Oberlin College