Cops and Courts

Man who died in jail was suspect in burglary at Gibson's in Oberlin

  • 24178141

    Michael Kilgore



ELYRIA — The inmate who died Saturday afternoon in the Lorain County Jail had been arrested for allegedly stealing hundreds of dollars from Gibson’s Bakery in January.

The Lorain County Coroner’s Office identified the man as Michael Kilgore, 24, of Lorain.

According to the Sheriff’s Office, Kilgore collapsed in his cell late Saturday afternoon and his cellmate immediately alerted jail staff. Kilgore was taken to University Hospitals Elyria Medical Center for further treatment, where he died Sunday.

A drug overdose is suspected, but has not been confirmed, according to the Sheriff’s Office. The death is still under investigation by the Sheriff’s Department and the Lorain County coroner.

Kilgore had been in custody at the jail since Jan. 5, according to jail records. He had been charged with aggravated burglary, burglary and having weapons under disability.

The charges stemmed from a Jan. 4 incident at Gibson’s Bakery.

On the morning of the incident one of the owners of the bakery, Allyn Gibson, arrived at the bakery about 9 a.m. and noticed the door to the stores office was open. Gibson first thought he’d accidentally left the door open himself, but then noticed “several drawers were open and papers were lying all over the floor,” according to a police report.

Gibson then watched the surveillance video and saw that shortly before he arrived, two men had entered the store, while it was open for business, and walked through looking at certain items “but appeared to be not looking for anything specific.” The police report said the men appeared to be “casing” the store.

One of the men could be seen removing a black handgun from his waistband as he entered the stairwell leading up to the store’s office.

Once the men arrived at the office door, the man with the gun used his shoulder and broke the office door open. The man was in the office “a few seconds” before he went back down the stairwell and tucked the handgun back into his waistband, the report said.

An employee of the bakery who was working the front register at the time the men were in the store said she “observed the two individuals in the store and spoke to them several times.” She said she was not aware they had entered the office.

The employee said that she had received “what she felt was a strange telephone call” just prior to the men entering the store. The male caller had asked if any of the Gibsons were working and if any of the bakers were still upstairs. The employee answered no to both questions and didn’t think anything more of the call at the time.

She did tell police that one of the men who had entered the store had tattoos on his face. Kilgore had tattoos on his face in the photo taken of him when he was taken to the jail in January after his arrest.

Contact Scott Mahoney at (440) 329-7146 or Follow him on Twitter @SMahoneyCT.

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…