ELYRIA — Lorain County Sheriff's Office detectives and the Lorain County Coroner are investigating Sunday's death of a Lorain County Jail inmate who collapsed in his cell late Saturday afternoon.
According to a sheriff's office news release, the male inmate collapsed due to a “medical event.”
The name of the inmate will not be released until the investigation into the death is complete, sheriff's spokesman Capt. Jack Hammond said.
"Staff was immediately alerted by the inmate's roommate and emergency medical attention was given by corrections officers and on-duty medical personnel," according to the sheriff's office. The inmate was then transported to University Hospitals Elyria Medical Center for further treatment.
The man died at the hospital on Sunday. A drug overdose is suspected, but not confirmed, according to the sheriff's office.
The incident remains under investigation. A message seeking further comment on the incident was left Monday for Lorain County Coroner Stephen Evans.
"Our sincere condolences go out to family and friends of the deceased," the sheriff's office said in the release.
The last fatal overdose in the jail was in March 2016, when inmate Joseph Boden died serving a 90-day jail sentence died as a result of ingesting the painkiller fentanyl, according to Chronicle-Telegram archives.
Following Boden's death, the county purchased a $119,000 full body scanner to help stop drugs from getting into the jail. The technology was installed and is running every day, Hammond said Monday.
Even that technology, he admitted, is "not 100 percent" effective at catching drugs getting into the jail.
- Man who died in jail was suspect in burglary at Gibson's in Oberlin
- 3. Drug overdoses -- including one at the county jail -- plague the county as national crisis deepens
- County commissioners sign off on full-body scanner for jail
- No indictment in jail drug case
- Possible overdoses at county jail investigated
- Inmate’s death said not to be criminal act
- Two county jail inmates caught with drugs face charges
- Inmates taken to hospital for drug effects
- Lorain man charged with selling fentanyl in county jail
- County jail inmate died of overdose
- Lorain County Jail inmate dies after medical emergency