ELYRIA — An Elyria man has been indicted on seven counts of felonious assault in connection with a January nonfatal triple shooting.
Marco Mendoza, 21, was indicted by a Lorain County grand jury on one count of discharging a firearm on or near prohibited premises, seven counts of felonious assault and one count each of tampering with evidence and having weapons while under disability, according to court documents unsealed last week.
Elyria police have said Mendoza was arrested less than 24 hours after the shooting that wounded Lamont Hines, Timothy Jackson and Curtis Mack as their vehicle backed out of a driveway shortly after midnight Jan. 3 in the 1000 block of Barbara Street on the city’s west side. A 17-year-old boy who was in the car was not wounded.
Lorain County Prosecutor Dennis Will said Mendoza knew all of the people in the vehicle “in some way, shape or form,” but he was closer to two of the men.
“There came to be a dispute, and they went back and forth through text messages,” Will said. “Marco came looking for these people in the car. When he found them over there, he decided to utilize his firearm to shoot at them.”
Police have said a vehicle pulled behind the one with the four alleged victims in it and at least one person opened fire on the young men, who managed to drive the two miles to the emergency room at University Hospitals Elyria Medical Center.
Police have said they recovered multiple spent shell casings from the scene. Mendoza admitted his involvement in the incident, police have said.
Mendoza has multiple prior arrests in Lorain County on domestic violence, weapons possession, drug trafficking and possession charges, according to jail records.