ELYRIA — Jury selection in the murder trial of a Lorain man who could face the death penalty began Monday, a process that could take more than a week to complete.
Elliott Kirkland, 29, was indicted on capital murder charges in connection with the 2016 slaying of Jimmie Holland Jr. in Holland’s Lexington Avenue apartment in Lorain.
Dozens of potential jurors are now going through the process of jury selection for the trial. Due to the possibility that Kirkland could face the death penalty if found guilty, each potential juror is being interviewed individually.
The process is expected to take the rest of the week, and continue into next Monday and maybe further, meaning opening statements in the trial may not begin until Monday or Tuesday.
Lorain police have said Holland’s death was the result of a home invasion.
Police were called to Holland’s apartment Aug. 29, 2016, by Jasmine Schafer, 29, who told officers she had gone to the apartment to braid Holland’s hair. She said when she arrived, she grabbed two cans of root beer out of the fridge before she found Holland’s body.
She told police she tried to give Holland CPR before she ran outside and called 911.
Police have said Schafer was initially cooperative, but said their investigation revealed she was lying about key parts of her story and that she was involved in stealing from Holland’s ransacked apartment.
Police recovered several missing items, including electronics and two cans of A&W Root Beer, from the borrowed Jeep Liberty that Schafer and a second woman, Latrice Thomas, were driving that night.
When officers confronted Schafer, she blamed Kirkland and Mark Sanchez for the robbery. A witness reported seeing Kirkland, who told police he had been with his girlfriend the entire night, enter the apartment armed with a handgun.
Lorain County Prosecutor Dennis Will has said because the robbery was planned, it elevated the killing to the level where prosecutors could seek the death penalty.
- 'I killed your sugar daddy': Testimony begins in Lorain murder trial
- Man gets life without parole in Lorain murder
- Lorain woman gets 3 years probation for charges related to murder
- Elliott Kirkland sentenced to life without parole in Lorain homicide (UPDATED)
- Deliberations continue today on sentence for Elliott Kirkland (UPDATED)
- Psychologist says killer Elliott Kirkland can 'think and reason'
- Pair each get more than 10 years in connection with 2016 murder
- Elliot Kirkland guilty on all counts in death of man killed in home invasion (UPDATED/VIDEO)
- Elliot Kirkland found guilty of aggravated murder (WATCH VERDICT VIDEO)
- Sides rest in Elliott Kirkland trial; closing arguments scheduled today
- Murder trial, day 3: Witness says Elliott Kirkland sought alibi
- Accomplice testifies in against Elliott Kirkland in day 2 of Lorain murder trial
- Jury hears testimony to decide Elliott Kirkland's sentence
- Lorain murder trial starts Monday
- Plea deal in charges connected to 2016 Elyria killing
- 2 plead guilty in killing of Jimmie Holland Jr.
- Death penalty sought in Lorain homicide
- Four indicted in Lorain murder case
- Jimmie Holland, Jr.
- Lorain shooting victim remembered as kind-hearted man
- BREAKING: Four arrested in Lexington Avenue killing
- 'This was so senseless': Four arrested in Lorain killing
- Lorain man found shot to death in apartment