Wednesday, July 24, 2019 Elyria 61°

Cops and Courts

Lorain man pleads guilty in '16 attempted murder

  • 23796323

    Charles Torres



ELYRIA — A Lorain man pleaded guilty to attempted murder charges in connection with a 2016 shooting that led to a seven-hour standoff with police in Rocky River.

Charles Torres, 33, of Long Avenue, pleaded guilty to the indictment Monday before Judge James Miraldi. The matter had been set to go to trial that same day.

In December 2016, Torres was indicted on counts of attempted murder, attempted kidnapping, felonious assault, failure to comply with an order or signal, having weapons under disability and improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle. In February 2017, he was indicted on supplemental counts of attempted murder and felonious assault, according to court records.

On Nov. 7, 2016, Torres was taken into custody by Lorain police about 10 a.m. in the cul-de-sac of Colahan Drive in Rocky River. Police from several municipalities, including Lorain County Sheriff’s Office SWAT, were on the scene where Torres had a handgun and was refusing to leave his car, police have said.

Torres had allegedly shot Francisco Rodriguez about 1:37 a.m. that day in Lorain. Police said Rodriguez had been a passenger in a car with Sonya Torres, Charles Torres’ ex-girlfriend, when he was shot.

Police said Sonya Torres was trying to get away from Charles Torres, but he caught up with her at East 31st Street and Elyria Avenue. Charles Torres stuck a gun in the window of Sonya Torres’ car and shot Rodriguez in the eye, police said.

Sonya Torres again tried to get away and drove off, but she lost control of the vehicle near Frye Funeral Home, 700 W. Erie Ave., Lorain. Sonya Torres’ car went over a curb, hit a sign and blew out tires, police said.

When an officer from Lorain police came out after hearing the crash, Charles Torres drove away, prompting a police chase.

Rocky River police said police from several jurisdictions chased Charles Torres into Rocky River.

At one point, a police officer from Avon Lake used a stop stick, which caused Charles Torres’ silver Hyundai to get a flat tire. Charles Torres continued driving and drove into Rocky River on his rim.

The chase finally ended in the backyard of a home on Colahan Drive. Police said they believed Charles Torres hadn’t realized the street was a dead end.

Some of the homes on the street were evacuated while SWAT members used a tactical approach to get Charles Torres to surrender, police said. After seven hours, he was arrested.

Charles Torres is scheduled to be sentenced by Miraldi on Jan. 24.

Contact Scott Mahoney at (440) 329-7146 or Follow him on Twitter @SMahoneyCT.

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…