Thursday, May 23, 2019 Elyria 68°

Cops and Courts

Paul Kilgore, on judicial release, sent back to prison

  • 23669236

    Paul Kilgore



This story has been edited to reflect the following clarification: The possibility of judicial release was part of Kilgore’s plea agreement, and he was released at the recommendation of the Lorain County Prosecutor’s Office.

ELYRIA — A Lorain man granted judicial release in June has been indicted on charges of aggravated robbery and has been sentenced back to prison.

Paul Kilgore, 21, was indicted on three counts of first-degree felony aggravated burglary, a second-degree felony robbery and third-degree felony having weapons while under disability, by a Lorain County grand jury last week, according to court documents. Most of the counts against Kilgore in the indictment also include two firearm specifications and a repeat violent offender specification.

On Sept. 6, Kilgore and another man went to the alleged victim’s home to purchase a Louis Vuitton bag, according to Lorain County Prosecutor Dennis Will said.

“While there, they assaulted the victim and struck him with what he believes was a firearm and threatened him,” Will said. “They also told him they wanted any money he had in the residence along with anything else of value.”

Kilgore and the other man fled when the alleged victim’s brother came home.

On June 27, Kilgore was granted judicial release by Judge John Miraldi on the recommendation of the Lorain County Prosecutor’s Office. Kilgore had been sentenced to three years in prison in December 2016 after pleading guilty to charges of felonious assault, theft, tampering with evidence, having weapons under disability and aggravated menacing. A charge of attempted murder was dismissed as part of the plea agreement with prosecutors in the case, and the plea agreement also recommended the possibility of Kilgore’s judicial release after 18 months.

Kilgore was indicted in 2015 in connection to a 2015 shooting along with Zack Spurlock. Police have said the two went to an Amherst Township Park in 2015 to meet a group of people who were upset about an alleged theft and reportedly racist comments on social media.

During the confrontation, Spurlock shot one of the people in the jaw before fleeing.

In September, Spurlock was sentenced to three years in prison and will be eligible for early release after 18 months, according to court documents.

Kilgore appeared before Miraldi on Sept. 20 for a merits hearing where Miraldi found Kilgore in violation of the judicial release sanctions. Kilgore was ordered to serve the remainder of the original prison sentence.

Contact Scott Mahoney at (440) 329-7146 or Follow him on Twitter @SMahoneyCT.

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…