Elyria police and firefighters are investigating a possible arson at an apartment building that was the site of a fatal shooting earlier this week.
First responders were called to a fire at Southwyck Apartments, 1444 West River Road, around 6 a.m. today. Elyria police Capt. Chris Costantino said someone threw a bottle of flammable liquid into a hallway, and resident manager Glenda Singleton said there was a strong odor of gasoline or kerosene at the site.
The fire was under control quickly, said Mary Langford, who’d lived in the apartment building for about four years.
“There was no alarm,” she said. “(A firefighter) knocked on the door and just told me to stay in here.”
Costantino says police are searching for suspects in the fire.
On Monday, Zachary Mason, 20, was found in a parking lot in front of one of the buildings at Southwyck Apartments. Police believe he was in one of the apartments, and was shot in the hallway on a second-floor landing, making his way outside before collapsing. Mason later died from his wounds at University Hospitals Elyria Medical Center. Two arrests have already been made, and police say there will be more.
- Elyria police seek third suspect in connection to Southwyck homicide (UPDATED)
- At funeral for homicide victim, pastor fosters change
- Third man arrested, arraigned in connection to Southwyck homicide
- 3 plead not guilty in Elyria killing
- Judge recuses himself from murder trials
- Man shot, killed in Elyria (UPDATED, VIDEO)
- Two arrested, charged with aggravated robbery in connection with Elyria homicide