Tuesday, September 18, 2018 Elyria 70°
Advertisement

Cops and Courts

Elyria man pleads guilty in toddler's scalding, gets a year's probation

  • Savage-jpg

    Isaiah Savage

    PHOTO PROVIDED

Advertisement

ELYRIA – An Elyria man pleaded guilty to endangering children charges in connection to an incident that left a 2-year-old girl with second-degree burns on the lower part of her body.

Isaiah Savage, 21, of Hodge Court, pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor count of endangering children and a third-degree felony count of tampering with evidence last month. Savage had been indicted on a third-degree felony count of endangering children when he was indicted in March by a Lorain County grand jury.

Savage was sentenced to one year of probation, according to court documents.

Police have said Savage was watching the toddler when she received the burns. On Jan. 30, police went to the 100 block of Hodge Court shortly after 7 p.m. on a call reported as “suspicious conditions.”

When officers arrived, they met with an ambulance supervisor who said they were taking a 2-year-old to the hospital with severe burns on her back, left arm and legs. Paramedics also noticed bruising and red marks on the child’s sternum, police said.

The girl was staying at the home for a few days with Savage and his girlfriend, who is the child’s aunt – her mother’s sister. The couple also has a 9-month-old-baby that who was not injured.

The aunt left the home to go to the store, leaving Savage to watch both children. About 6:30 p.m., Savage called his girlfriend and frantically told her to come home, saying the child's skin was falling off, police said.

Savage told police he was preparing to give the girl a bath when he noticed she was peeling and blistering, but detectives said they knew the injuries were not consistent with that version of events.

The 21-year-old then admitted that the 2-year-old soiled her diaper and he decided to clean her up in the bathtub. In doing so, he told police, he turned on the water and placed the 2-year-old in the water without checking the temperature. The child was unclothed from the waist down and was still wearing a T-shirt.

Savage said he didn't realize the water was too hot until he reached his own hand into the tub and had to pull it back because the water was scalding, police said. When he pulled the child out he noticed her skin was peeling, blistering and seeping fluid. Savage told police he removed the shirt because it had pieces of skin attached to it.

The toddler was taken to the burn unit at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland.

Contact Scott Mahoney at 329-7146 or smahoney@chroniclet.com. Follow him on Twitter @SMahoneyCT.


Click to view comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
To Top

Fetching stories…