ELYRIA — A judge has denied a motion by Oberlin College to move the case involving a lawsuit filed by Gibson’s Bakery to Cuyahoga County because it argued it couldn’t get a fair trial in Lorain County due to media coverage.
On April 18, Judge John Miraldi denied the motion to transfer venue as well as denied the college’s request for an oral hearing on the matter, according to court documents.
Gibson’s sued the college and Meredith Raimondo, vice president and dean of students, for libel, slander, interference with business relationships, interference with contracts, deceptive trade practices, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligent hiring and trespass.
The rift between the bakery and the college began last year when a student tried to buy alcohol with a fake ID and shoplift from Allyn Gibson, who is the son of the bakery’s owner, David Gibson. Allyn Gibson followed the student out of the store and the two got into a physical altercation outside.
Two other students got involved in the incident, and police have said when they arrived the three student were hitting Allyn Gibson while he was on the ground.
The incident became racially charged because Allyn Gibson is white and the students are black. All three students pleaded guilty in August to misdemeanor charges and read statements into the record acknowledging that Allyn Gibson was within his right to detain the shoplifter and that his actions were not racially motivated.
The bakery claims it has suffered a loss of business as a result of the protests by Oberlin College students and community members that ensued after the incident.
The lawsuit case is ongoing, according to court documents.
- Oberlin College to begin 'good neighbor' service plan for students
- Gibson's Bakery gains victories on evidence
- Gibsons' family friend testifies in bakery's trial against Oberlin College
- Gibson family says protest at bakery changed their lives
- Day 3 of Gibson's v. Oberlin College trial sees former college employee testify for bakery
- Oberlin police chief: Riot team was almost called for Gibson's Bakery protest
- Attorneys say Oberlin College students made 'declaration of war' against Gibson's
- Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College: Meredith Raimondo testifies she didn't have control over students
- Jury selection set to start today in Gibson's suit
- Court filings delay start of Gibson's trial
- Jury selection for Gibson's Bakery v. Oberlin College suit expected to start Friday
- Oberlin College seeks to exclude items in Gibson's lawsuit
- Gibson's v. Oberlin College to go to trial
- Trial date set for Gibson's v. Oberlin College
- Opening statements could come this afternoon in Gibson's lawsuit against Oberlin College
- Gibson's Bakery moves to block venue change
- Oberlin College wants lawsuit moved to Cuyahoga County
- Judge denies partial motion to dismiss Gibson's lawsuit against Oberlin College
- Gibson's Bakery responds to Oberlin College's court request
- Body camera footage shows aftermath of arrest at Oberlin business
- Oberlin College files motion to dismiss Gibson's lawsuit
- Gibson's Bakery struggling after loss of Oberlin College business, owner says
- Supporters rally around Gibson's (VIDEO)
- Gibson's sues Oberlin College