ELYRI A — Jeffrey Miraldi was arraigned Monday in Elyria Municipal Court on charges of tampering with evidence.
Miraldi, 20, is the son of Lorain County Judge John Miraldi and faces charges stemming from an incident police said was a drug deal that turned into a robbery in which 19-year-old Cody Snyder was shot and killed.
John Miraldi is not under investigation in the case, but he was listed as the registered owner of the 2014 Ford Focus in which Snyder was shot and killed. Police said Jeffrey Miraldi was driving the vehicle at the time of the shooting.
The arraignment was by way of video in front of Judge Gary Bennett. Miraldi was being held in Lorain County Jail on $200,000 bond. He was arrested Friday afternoon while at work at Lucas Plumbing and Heating, in Lorain — a job he told Bennett he no longer has as a result of his arrest.
Bennett said Miraldi could face a maximum of five years in prison if found guilty of the tampering with evidence charge, a third-degree felony.
Kajaun Anderson, 18, and two juveniles, ages 16 and 17, have been charged with aggravated murder in connection with Snyder’s death. The state has made a motion to prosecute the juveniles as adults.
Attorney Anthony Manning was appointed as Jeffrey Miraldi’s attorney. A preliminary hearing will be Thursday afternoon.
Manning said as an adult, Jeffrey Miraldi’s parents aren’t responsible for him, which is why he was able to have an attorney appointed by the court.
“Basically, the judge asks if you can afford an attorney,” Manning said. “You’re asked if you have stocks, bonds, a house, cars and what kind of debt you have. You then have to fill out an affidavit. Based on that information, if you meet the requirements, you can be appointed an attorney.”
- Jeffrey Miraldi waives hearing; bail set at $50,000 (UPDATED, VIDEO)
- Sentences handed down in Cody Snyder homicide (UPDATED)
- 2. An Elyria homicide leads to the conviction of a judge's son
- Kajaun Anderson pleads guilty in Cody Snyder's death (UPDATED)
- Jeffrey Miraldi, Jenna Turner plead guilty in connection with killing of Cody Snyder
- Teens waive charges in Cody Snyder fatal shooting; plea deal expected
- Three plead not guilty in Cody Snyder homicide (VIDEO, UPDATED)
- Teens plead guilty in exchange for testimony in Elyria homicide (UPDATED)
- Jenna Turner's father faces pot charges in connection with death of Cody Snyder
- Visiting judge chosen for cases related to fatal shooting
- Jeffrey Miraldi released on bail
- Judge reduces Turner's bond in connection with Cody Snyder shooting
- Special prosecutor to handle all cases relating to Cody Snyder death
- Charges pile up, but bail is reduced for Jeffrey Miraldi (VIDEO)
- Grand jury releases indictments in Cody Snyder homicide
- Judge's son charged with tampering in connection with fatal shooting
- Car registered to Judge John Miraldi was scene of fatal shooting (UPDATED/VIDEO)
- Cody Snyder's death was expected — but not this way (VIDEO)
- Prosecutor files motions to try teens as adults in killing of 19-year-old
- 2 teens deny charges in fatal Elyria shooting
- Three arrested in fatal Elyria shooting (UPDATED)