ELYRIA — Two juveniles, ages 16 and 17, appeared in court Thursday for their first hearings for the felony charges they are facing in connection with a fatal shooting near Clinton Avenue on Tuesday night.
Both are Lorain County boys, from Elyria and Oberlin, and are now at the county Juvenile Detention Center. Police have charged the juveniles with murder and two counts of aggravated robbery.
The boys denied the charges against them Thursday, and another pretrial hearing is set for Tuesday.
The boys are two of three people police have charged in connection with the death of 19-year-old Cody Snyder of Elyria.
In addition to the juveniles, Kajaun Anderson, 18, of Clinton Avenue, is facing similar charges.
According to a statement from Elyria police, officers were called to the area of 162 Clinton Ave. for a report of shots fired about 10:37 p.m. Tuesday. They found evidence of gunshots but nobody who was involved in any shooting.
Witnesses said they saw a man running through backyards toward Bell Avenue.
Ten minutes later, a vehicle pulled into the emergency room parking lot at University Hospitals Elyria Medical Center, with the driver saying a passenger had been shot. A nearby police officer saw an unresponsive white man covered in blood in the passenger seat. There was also a woman in the car.
According to Elyria Municipal Court Prosecutor Michelle Nedwick, the investigation revealed Snyder went to the area to sell marijuana to Anderson, and he and the juveniles had planned to rob him.
During that robbery, Snyder was shot in the chest and ultimately died in the hospital, Nedwick said.
Anderson was arraigned in Elyria Municipal Court on Thursday afternoon. He is being held at Lorain County Jail on $1 million bond.
It is the policy of The Chronicle-Telegram not to identify juvenile offenders in felony cases unless the cases are sent to Lorain County Common Pleas Court for adult charges.
Contact Lisa Roberson at 329-7121 or email@example.com.
Contact Scott Mahoney at 329-7146 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Follow him on Twitter @SMahoneyCT.
- Visiting judge chosen for cases related to fatal shooting
- Jenna Turner's father faces pot charges in connection with death of Cody Snyder
- Judge reduces Turner's bond in connection with Cody Snyder shooting
- Jeffrey Miraldi released on bail
- Teens waive charges in Cody Snyder fatal shooting; plea deal expected
- Teens plead guilty in exchange for testimony in Elyria homicide (UPDATED)
- Grand jury releases indictments in Cody Snyder homicide
- Three plead not guilty in Cody Snyder homicide (VIDEO, UPDATED)
- Car registered to Judge John Miraldi was scene of fatal shooting (UPDATED/VIDEO)
- Judge's son charged with tampering in connection with fatal shooting
- Cody Snyder's death was expected — but not this way (VIDEO)
- Prosecutor files motions to try teens as adults in killing of 19-year-old
- Charges pile up, but bail is reduced for Jeffrey Miraldi (VIDEO)
- Special prosecutor to handle all cases relating to Cody Snyder death
- Jeffrey Miraldi arraigned on tampering charge related to homicide (UPDATED)
- Jeffrey Miraldi waives hearing; bail set at $50,000 (UPDATED, VIDEO)
- Three arrested in fatal Elyria shooting (UPDATED)
- Cody Lee Snyder