LORAIN — A man died from multiple gunshot wounds just hours after Lorain County residents celebrated the new year in the first reported homicide of 2018 in Lorain.
According to police, it was at 5:38 a.m. Monday when Lorain police said in a release that officers received calls of shots fired at 807 W. 22nd St.
When officers arrived at the house, they saw several people running from the home.
After checking the residence for victims, police said they found a man dead in the basement.
Police have not identified the man pending notification of his family, but a report said that he had multiple gunshot wounds.
While police are not identifying the victim yet, they are asking for the public’s help in finding a suspect.
Lorain police are looking for Marlon Johnson, 42, in connection with the suspected homicide.
Police said the public should consider Johnson to be armed and dangerous.
According to the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Correction, Johnson is on parole after being released from prison in February. He served about a nine years for several crimes committed in both Medina and Lorain counties, including robbery, aggravated burglary, abduction, intimidation and domestic violence.
Johnson was last seen leaving the area of West 22nd Street in a maroon and gray older model vehicle, similar to a Buick Roadmaster.
Police are asking anyone with information on Johnson’s whereabouts to call the Lorain Police Department at (440) 204-2100 or any local police department.
This is the second year in a row the beginning of the year turned deadly in Lorain.
In January 2017, a 26-year-old man named Albert Ross III was found shot at a Reid Avenue home.
- Jurors set to deliberate Lorain murder case
- Murder defendant says he wasn't the shooter
- Marlon Johnson sentenced to life in prison for New Year's Day homicide of Todd Dais (UPDATED/VIDEO)
- Johnson found guilty on all counts in New Year's Day homicide (BREAKING)
- Witness ties Johnson to shooting
- Lorain murder suspect makes court appearance; case bound over to grand jury
- Man arraigned in Lorain homicide
- Trial starts for suspect in New Year's Day homicide in Lorain
- Two Lorain men indicted in New Year's Day homicide
- Lorain homicide suspect now in custody