ELYRIA – A dash-cam video from the Darke County Sheriff’s Department shows murder suspect Roy Owens Jr. being put into an ambulance in handcuffs while deputies search his car.
Owens is accused of killing his ex-girlfriend Linnea Satterfield, who was reported missing by her sister last week.
During a welfare check for Satterfield on July 18, police found blood and signs of a struggle at Owens’ Charles Court home.
Owens appeared in Elyria Municipal Court for the first time Friday where Elyria Officer James Homoki said Satterfield was killed from being beaten and stabbed before Owens allegedly put her in the trunk of his car and drove across several county lines.
During the two days that Owens was gone, Homoki said Owens camped out in corn fields before being found by Darke County Sheriff’s deputies after his car ended up in a ditch on the side of the road.
Owens is charged with aggravated murder, felonious assault and domestic violence. Homoki said Owens attempted to commit suicide while awaiting transport from Darke County to Elyria.
The footage from the dash-cam shows Owens in his underwear sitting up against his 2001 Buick LeSabre. The Darke County Sheriff Deputies tell Owens to put his hands up and walk backward away from the car before telling him to lie on the ground. He then is handcuffed and put on a stretcher and taken away in an ambulance.
The video cuts out as police search the car, from which they say several times an odor was emanating, and they ask for a warrant to search it.
Owens next court date is Thursday in Elyria Municipal Court. If the judge finds probable cause during the hearing, the case will be transferred to Common Pleas Court where it will be presented to a grand jury. The court is expected to assign a lawyer to Owens at the time of the hearing.
- Murder suspect Owens to have competency exam; bail set at $10 million
- Roy Owens indicted for murder in ex-girlfriend's killing
- Defense claims 'mental defect' in murder case
- Murder suspect Owens makes initial appearance; judge rules no bond
- Missing woman's body found in car trunk; suspect in custody
- Murder suspect Owens back in Lorain County; court appearance scheduled today
- Missing woman found dead; ex-boyfriend arrested
- UPDATE: Police think ex is holding woman against her will