ELYRIA TWP. — A man accused of murdering his ex-girlfriend was transported to the county jail Thursday evening.
Roy Owens Jr.
PHOTO PROVIDED Enlarge
Roy Owens Jr., 56, was being held Thursday night without bond on charges of aggravated murder, felonious assault and domestic violence. He is scheduled to appear today in Elyria Municipal Court.
Earlier Thursday, Owens, shackled at his wrists and ankles, was brought into Darke County Common Pleas Court by Darke County sheriff’s deputies for an extradition hearing, according to The Daily Advocate. Owens signed documents waiving his rights to counsel and waiving his rights to an extradition hearing in Darke County.
Owens is accused of killing his ex-girlfriend, Linnea Satterfield, 56. Police had found blood and signs of a struggle Tuesday at his Charles Court home after Satterfield’s sister Michele Plumley called police to report her missing.
Plumley has said Satterfield and Owens had a strained relationship and said Owens was controlling and abusive.
On Wednesday, Darke County sheriff deputies received a call about an impaired driver and, when they arrived, found the 2001 Buick LeSabre that Roy E. Owens Jr. was believed to be driving in a ditch.
Deputies said Owens was outside of the vehicle in his underwear and socks and held a knife to his wrists and throat, although the knife was dull and caused no significant injuries. They were able to take him into custody, and police said Satterfield’s body was found in the car.
Satterfield, an entrepreneur who owned a soap-making business, was in the process of leaving Owens and had just bought a new house. She leaves behind a daughter, son-in-law and two grandsons.
- Roy Owens indicted for murder in ex-girlfriend's killing
- Defense claims 'mental defect' in murder case
- VIDEO: Darke County Sheriff's Office releases dashcam video in Owens arrest
- Murder suspect Owens to have competency exam; bail set at $10 million
- Murder suspect Owens makes initial appearance; judge rules no bond
- Missing woman's body found in car trunk; suspect in custody
- Missing woman found dead; ex-boyfriend arrested
- UPDATE: Police think ex is holding woman against her will