ELYRIA – Lorain County Coroner Dr. Stephen Evans confirmed human remains have been found at the site off Mussey Avenue.
The site has been frequently investigated in the past month in connection with the disappearance of Tierra Bryant, 19, from a Middleburg Heights motel on March 30, 2015.
The city of Elyria closed Mussey Avenue between West River Road and West Avenue this morning as investigators returned to the area. They’d previously been there several times last month and earlier this month as well.
“There’s something there,” Middleburg Heights police chief told a crowd of media shortly after 2 p.m. “We’re not sure if it’s human or not. We don’t even know it’s a body, but it seems like that’s how it’s going to turn out.” Maddox said the remains were found about four feet deep, and when asked, said he couldn’t think of a good reason animal remains would be buried that deep.
Maddox noted that the investigation was proceeding slowly to keep any potential evidence from being damaged. “It’s a very meticulous process,” he said.
Family members arrived at the scene shortly after noon.
“We don’t want it to end this way, but we definitely need closure,” said Margaret Johnson, Bryant’s great-aunt.
Johnson, who said she came to the area after seeing news reports that investigators had returned, said she has not spoken to law enforcement, and was unclear on what prompted investigators’ return.
Bryant was last seen at a Middleburg Heights hotel in the company of Rashan Hunt, 39. Bryant had reportedly called for a ride from a friend, and a police report said Bryant never came out of the motel when the friend arrived and was reported missing the next day.
At the end of June, agents from the Federal Bureau of Investigation scoured a wooded area off Mussey, closing down the road for several days that stretched into early July.
Hunt was arrested in California last month, and is facing charges in Bryant’s suspected homicide. Hunt pleaded not guilty earlier this month to charges of voluntary manslaughter, felonious assault, tampering with evidence, offenses against a human corpse and obstructing official business.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
- Three Elyria city employees recognized by FBI for activities in Bryant search
- 8. The search for Tierra Bryant
- Remains found off Mussey Avenue identified as Tierra Bryant
- Human remains unearthed at Mussey Avenue site in Elyria
- Work begins to ID body found off Mussey Avenue
- Mussey Avenue reopens today
- Man indicted in woman's 2015 disappearence
- Mussey Avenue remains closed until Wednesday as investigation continues
- FBI again scours area off Mussey Avenue in Elyria
- Law enforcement looks for missing woman in Mussey Avenue area
- UPDATED: Search of Elyria area in woman's disappearance finds nothing; investigation continues