ELYRIA – Middleburg Heights police and the FBI are wrapping up a search on Mussey Avenue in connection with the 2015 disappearance of a 19-year-old woman who authorities have presumed dead.
The south Elyria road will reopen to through traffic after noon today, said Kevin Brubaker, Elyria’s assistant safety service director.
Law enforcement from Cuyahoga County asked Elyria officials to close the road to help facilitate a search of the densely wooded area in connection with the disappearance of Tierra Bryant, who was last since March 30, 2015, with 39-year-old Rashan Hunt. Police have said Bryant told a friend in a text message that she needed a ride from a Middleburg Heights motel but Bryant was gone by the time the friend arrived.
Elyria police began working with investigators from Middleburg Heights police and the FBI at the site June 21 and have continued to examine the area off and on since then. Crime scene tape and barricades blocked traffic at the railroad tracks on the West River Road side of Mussey Avenue and around 100 yards west of the bridge on the West Avenue side of the road.
Law enforcement has said little about why they’re searching the area, only acknowledging it is in connection with Bryant's disappearance. Hunt has ties to Elyria going back to the late 1990s and has lived in the area off and on. He spent about 11 years in prison for an attempted murder committed in Elyria.
Police arrested Hunt in Sacramento, Calif., last month charging him with murder in connection with Bryant's disappearance. No body has been recovered, and police have not said what new evidence led them to charge Hunt.
Police brought a hooded man in handcuffs to Mussey Avenue near the old Maverick Tube Corp. last week, but authorities have declined to confirm if the man was Hunt.
- Remains found off Mussey Avenue identified as Tierra Bryant
- Three Elyria city employees recognized by FBI for activities in Bryant search
- 8. The search for Tierra Bryant
- Work begins to ID body found off Mussey Avenue
- Man indicted in woman's 2015 disappearence
- UPDATE: Human remains found at Mussey Avenue investigation site
- Human remains unearthed at Mussey Avenue site in Elyria
- Mussey Avenue remains closed until Wednesday as investigation continues
- FBI again scours area off Mussey Avenue in Elyria
- Law enforcement looks for missing woman in Mussey Avenue area
- UPDATED: Search of Elyria area in woman's disappearance finds nothing; investigation continues