ELYRIA — Mussey Avenue will remain closed to through traffic until the middle of next week as local and federal law enforcement continues to search a nearby wooded area as part of their investigation into the 2015 disappearance of Tierra Bryant.
Assistant Safety Service Director Kevin Brubaker said the FBI made the request to keep the road closed to facilitate the search. He said although there will be local access to the area, through traffic will be blocked at the railroad tracks on the West River Road side of Mussey Avenue and around 100 yards west of the bridge on the West Avenue side of the road.
“It is not going to be cleared until Wednesday,” he said.
FBI Special Agent Vicki Anderson said she couldn’t comment in detail on why the request to keep the road closed was made other than to say it was necessary for the investigation.
“This continues to be an ongoing investigation,” she said.
Elyria police began working with investigators from Middleburg Heights police and the FBI at the site June 21 and have continued to examine the area off and on since then, including on Thursday.
Law enforcement has said little about why they’re searching the area, although they have conceded it is in connection with Bryant’s disappearance.
She was last seen March 30, 2015, with 39-year-old Rashan Hunt. Police have said Bryant told a friend in a text message that she needed a ride from a Middleburg Heights motel but Bryant was gone by the time the friend arrived.
Hunt was arrested in Sacramento, Calif., earlier this month and has been charged with murder in connection with Bryant’s disappearance. No body has been recovered, and police have not said what new evidence led them to charge Hunt, who has connections to both Cuyahoga and Lorain counties.
A hooded man in handcuffs was brought to the area near the old Maverick Tube Corp. earlier this week, but authorities have declined to confirm if the man was Hunt.
- Remains found off Mussey Avenue identified as Tierra Bryant
- Work begins to ID body found off Mussey Avenue
- 8. The search for Tierra Bryant
- Three Elyria city employees recognized by FBI for activities in Bryant search
- Man indicted in woman's 2015 disappearence
- Mussey Avenue reopens today
- Human remains unearthed at Mussey Avenue site in Elyria
- UPDATE: Human remains found at Mussey Avenue investigation site
- FBI again scours area off Mussey Avenue in Elyria
- Law enforcement looks for missing woman in Mussey Avenue area
- UPDATED: Search of Elyria area in woman's disappearance finds nothing; investigation continues