ELYRIA — A Lorain man accused of shooting his wife’s friend in the parking lot of Technifab in Avon has been indicted on attempted murder and other charges.
Joshua Avalos, 29, also is charged with felonious assault and improperly handling firearms in a motor vehicle.
Avon police have said that Avalos went to Technifab on Chester Road in Avon about 8:30 a.m. April 27 and opened fire on 37-year-old Kevin Fenderson in the parking lot, hitting him in the back.
The wounded Fenderson was able to get into his car and sped out of the parking lot, pursued by Avalos, police have said. The chase, which drew numerous 911 calls, ended in a crash at the intersection of Colorado and Carleen avenues.
Avalos was treated for minor injuries at University Hospitals St. John Medical Center in Westlake before being taken to the Lorain County Jail, where he remains.
Fenderson underwent surgery at MetroHealth Medical Center in Cleveland for the gunshot wound to his back.
Brittany Avalos, who described herself as Joshua Avalos’ “soon-to-be-ex” in a 911 call, told law enforcement that Fenderson was a friend.
Lorain County Prosecutor Dennis Will said the shooting appears to have been motivated by the troubles in the Avalos’ relationship.
At a bond hearing in Avon Lake Municipal Court after the shooting, Joshua Avalos said that “I can’t keep my mind correct” and that he had gone through nine jobs through a temporary employment agency since the beginning of the year.
Avalos is scheduled to be arraigned next week.
- Shooting suspect seeks second psych evaluation
- Suspect ruled competent for attempted murder trial
- Man charged with attempted murder denied bond reduction
- Joshua Avalos pleads guilty in Avon shooting, gets 11-year prison sentence (UPDATED)
- Avalos waives preliminary hearing, seeks bail reduction
- $1 million bond set for man accused of Avon shooting
- UPDATE: Avon shooting victim released from hospital
- Domestic situation sparked shooting
- Shooting, wreck in Avon