Convicted child rapist Devante Gibbs is being held in the Long Beach City Jail in California pending extradition proceedings to return him to Ohio for sentencing.
Gibbs fled from the Lorain County Justice Center on Feb. 10 while a jury was deliberating on charges of rape, kidnapping, felonious assault and child endangering.
He was found Saturday at the home of a cousin in Long Beach, California, according a press release from the Lorain County Sheriff’s Office.
Gibbs again tried to run when confronted by the U.S. Marshals Service, but was apprehended after a brief struggle, the release said.
The Sheriff’s Office is investigating how Gibbs made his way to California and who helped him along the way. Those found to have knowingly aided him will be arrested and prosecuted, the release said.
The Sheriff’s Office thanked Deputy Greg Hudson, assigned to the department’s warrant unit, for his work in following up on every lead and working “tirelessly at all hours of the day to hasten the apprehension of Gibbs.”
- Fugitive Gibbs won't fight extradition to Ohio
- Rapist fugitive back in Ohio
- Rapist sentenced to life in prison
- Client sues, attorney countersues over alleged non-disclosure of plea deal
- U.S. Marshals capture rapist fugitive
- Marshals offer reward for capture of fugitive Gibbs
- Man convicted of rape skips out before jury decision
- Child rape suspect takes stand
- Child rape trial begins