Tuesday, March 26, 2019 Elyria 38°

Cops and Courts

Police: Mother suffocated daughter, kept body in house for 2 days


NORTH RIDGEVILLE — Lakewood mother Janet Tyburski suffocated her daughter Rachele Tyburski and kept the body in her home for two days before dumping the body in a North Ridgeville field in March, according to North Ridgeville police.

Janet Tyburski, 45, was arrested Tuesday on charges accusing her of murdering her daughter, Rachele Tyburski, 26, almost two months after Rachele Tyburski’s body was found March 15 in a field off Victory Lane.

Police collected surveillance tapes and interviews that led them to identify Janet Tyburski as a suspect, they said at a press conference Wednesday.

Rachele and Janet Tyburski lived together in Lakewood with Rachele Tyburski’s 4-year-old son before she was killed.

Janet Tyburski hit and suffocated Rachele Tyburski at their Lakewood home early on March 13, according to Lorain County Coroner Dr. Stephen Evans and North Ridgeville police.

Police would not say whether the boy was home at the time of his mother’s death.

Police said two days later, Janet Tyburski put her daughter’s body into a vehicle and drove to North Ridgeville. She chose spot off of Victory Lane at random, dumping the body on March 15, according to North Ridgeville police.

Police believe she had help in moving her daughter’s body and they are looking for that person, North Ridgeville Police Capt. Marti Garrow said at the press conference.

A developer walking the field found Rachele Tyburski’s body March 15. She had contusions on her face and chest and was partially naked from the waist up, according to Garrow and Evans.

There were no signs of sexual assault and a toxicology test that came back in April showed that Rachele Tyburski had no significant drugs or alcohol in her system.

Police released a photo of Rachele Tyburski and, a few days later, received calls, including one from Janet Tyburski, who said she might have seen her daughter on TV, according to police.

Over the next two months, police interviewed many people, including Janet Tyburski, who said that she had last seen her daughter in the early hours of March 13. She told police Rachele Tyburski left their Lakewood home with unknown friends and never returned, according to Garrow.

The problem was police could never verify that statement, Garrow said.

They took Janet Tyburski into custody Tuesday and turned Rachele Tyburski’s 4-year-old son over to Cuyahoga County Children and Family Services.

They haven’t released a motive.

Danusia Tyburski, Rachele Tyburski’s grandmother, said Wednesday that her daughter-in-law, Janet Tyburski, had always been a good mother to her children.

Rachele Tyburski’s father, Darrell, died in a car crash when Rachele was 8 and the young girl had trouble dealing with the loss. She often wrote poetry and confided often in her mother, Danusia Tyburski said.

Rachele and her mother often had long talks, Danusia Tyburski said during an interview with The Chronicle-Telegram in March.

On Wednesday, she reiterated that sentiment, but couldn’t go on. The arrest is tough to talk about, she said.

“Janet is a very good mother,” Danusia Tyburski said.

For Charlotte Worcester, a North Ridgeville woman who got to know Janet Tyburski over the past two months, the arrest was a shock.

“We can’t even begin to believe it,” Worcester said.

She and a few other North Ridgeville women planned a vigil for Rachele Tyburski after her body was found. That’s when they first got in touch with Janet Tyburski. Worcester said she gave her phone number to the funeral home, which passed it on to Janet Tyburski.

“Janet called me within 15 minutes,” Worcester said.

The two talked on the phone multiple times as they planned the vigil and, though they became close, Worcester said small things made her believe Janet Tyburski was in some kind of shock.

“I’d be bawling on the phone and she wasn’t,” Worcester said, adding that she passed it off as Janet Tyburski’s own kind of grief. “How can you know how you should act?”

She said Janet Tyburski was planning on attending the vigil but texted her only a few minutes before the vigil happened in March to say she couldn’t come. Janet Tyburski said had been told by family and friends that it wasn’t a good idea for her to attend, Worcester said.

Her last interaction with Janet Tyburski came a week ago, when Janet Tyburski texted Worcester and said she wanted to meet with her sometime soon for coffee and to thank Worcester for her help planning the vigil, she said.

Police from North Ridgeville, Lakewood and Oberlin worked together in the investigation. Members of the Cleveland division of the FBI and the Lorain County Coroner’s Office also helped.

Janet Tyburski appeared Wednesday in Elyria Municipal Court but did not enter a plea. She was declared indigent and will remain in the Lorain County Jail without bond until her next court date 2 p.m. May 14.

Contact Anna Merriman at 329-7245 or amerriman@chroniclet.com. Follow her on Twitter at @Anna_Merriman.

Click to view comments
To Top

Fetching stories…