CARLISLE TWP. — A fire that started at an auto wrecking shop Thursday engulfed five scrapped cars.
About 12:30 p.m., workers at Butternut Auto and Recycling, 40346 Buttnernut Ridge Road, were cutting pieces of scrap metal for salvage. A spark landed on a pile of scrapped cars, said a Carlisle Township Fire Department official.
When the workers went to lunch, the spark ignited and started a fire that traveled to other cars in the pile, engulfing five of the cars.
Carlisle Township firefighters had the fire under control in 15 minutes, the official said.
No one was harmed, and the fire destroyed only the plastic in some of the cars, according to the fire department.