ELYRIA — A family of seven was forced out of its rented home Saturday by a fire that broke out in an upstairs bedroom.
The fire was reported about 12:15 p.m. to Elyria firefighters, who responded to a two-story house at 1617 Lake Ave., said Elyria Assistant Fire Chief Ron Brlas. He said the family first tried to extinguish the fire themselves before summoning help.
“By the time we arrived, the second story was pretty well charged with fire and smoke,” Brlas said.
None of the family, which includes five children, was injured, Brlas said.
The children, including a set of 3-month-old twins, are all 6 or younger.
Brandan Adams, 27, the father, told fire officials the family had been renting the home since October, Brlas said.
Firefighters spent about two hours on the scene, extinguishing the fire, which extended to a second bedroom after apparently starting in an upstairs bedroom closet, according to reports.
The fire extended to a second bedroom and caused moderate smoke damage throughout the second floor.
Damage was estimated at $15,000 to the house and contents, Brlas said.
The blaze remains under investigation but was not believed to be suspicious.
The family was temporarily housed at a hotel by the Red Cross, Brlas said.
It was believed the family would be able to reoccupy the house once it is cleaned and repaired.